The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bargain price at Mr.T's !

QSC

I hope the good people at Gibson & Boyne don't get upset about this, but I didn't fancy paying £100 for my auto gearknob recovering, and I feel it's my duty to alert members to this - I just picked up a new, leather-covered gearknob from Toyota for £23.09 + VAT - unbelievable ! And it's real leather too - some stuff isn't as expensive as you imagine it will be is it ? :eyebrows:

I could do with a new one. But it's the hassel of taking the old one off and putting the new one on. Good find though. Cheers.

It's not the gearknob that's the hassle so much as the overdrive switch - I've broken two of those already - now I need to find out how the wires are supposed to connect, cause it doesn't look there's anywhere for them to go into....

Oooh time to go shopping :D

As Rogue says, got a part number for it?

Part number for auto gearknob is 33542-14040-C0 £23.09

screw are 90159-40109 (always losing the damn things) £0.34

overdrive switch (pig to get out without breaking it) is 84722-14090 £25.42

Managed it all now anyway - lovely new leather..... :p

Part number for auto gearknob is 33542-14040-C0 £23.09

screw are 90159-40109 (always losing the damn things) £0.34

overdrive switch (pig to get out without breaking it) is 84722-14090 £25.42

Managed it all now anyway - lovely new leather..... :p

How did u fit urs? did u cut the wires from the over drive switch or resolder them on??

mine has been sat in the glovebox since before xmas :cry:

cant fit it :shrug:

How did u fit urs? did u cut the wires from the over drive switch or resolder them on??

mine has been sat in the glovebox since before xmas :cry:

cant fit it :shrug:

What I did was to disconnect the old overdrive switch (it was soldered so fell apart anyway, but cutting the wires would do as well), then disconnect the wiring from the blue plug (the one that also has the wires for illuminating the gear selector). Undo the two parts of this plug, then disconnect the blue plug from it's bracket. It take some doing (ask my poorly finger - I may never play the guitar again), but it needs to come off the bracket. The connectors are a push-in type and not easy to get out - make sure you take out the correct two wires, then take the old wiring out completely. Connect the new wires into the correct slots in the blue plug. Don't reconnect the blue plug to its' other half yet.

The new overdrive switch has to be fitted into the gearknob first, pushing the new wires down through the knob so they stick out the bottom of it. Roughly assemble the knob assembly with the gear selector assembly with the O/D switch wires hanging out the bottom of that. Then route the wiring through where the old wires went, keeping it out of the way of the underneath of the gearshift and along to where the blue plug should live, and reconnect it to its' other end. Then reassemble the gear selector light and everything else.

I puzzled for a while over how you're supposed to fit this, as it seemed impossible to put the O/D switch into the gearknob first, then attempt to connect the wiring, as there didn't seem to be enough room to do it, but it can be done as long as you do things in the right order - any questions, feel free to ask - :tongue: