The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Veilside C1 Kit HELP!

Mad Matt

Bought a Veilside c1 kit, bumper, skirts and spats), they'vre all painted and ready to fit but the bodyshop are struggling with fitment. Has ANYONE got any tips that i can pass onto them cos they've had my car for over a week, it's now in bits, and they're stood around scratching themselves! :thumbdown

The front bumper seems to be the major issue, the rise up between the headlights is too low, so when they push the bumper on, it's cracking around the headlight cut outs as the front cross member is forcing it into position. :cry:

Were they offered up to the car prior to painting? :conf:

As with all kits the C1 needs modification to fit, be it an original or copy. Even then the fit won't be perfect. I have an original front bumper and it was offered up to the car a number of times before it was painted and fitted.

You need to speak to someone who's fitted a few before, Dude's your best bet....

Bought it off (dare i say it) ebay about 2 months ago, and to be honest, don't think they even put it anywhere near the car before painting it!? :tumble:

They going to try cutting some of the box sectioning away under the bumper to allow it to be a little more flexible, as when you push the corners together, the bonnet rise part lifts up naturally. I'm gonna wander down to them in a bit cos they're only down the road from me. Think i want to be present for authorisation of any modifying that they're thinking of undertaking! :scare:

Don't think it's a genuine Veilside? But not sure, are they fibreglass or plastic does anyone know?

Don't think it's a genuine Veilside? But not sure, are they fibreglass or plastic does anyone know?

Doesn't sound like genuine - thats normally from nemesis isn't it ??????

To be honest - most body shops worth their salt would 'fit' the kit to the car before painting ..... in fact that is recommended in most fitting instructions. From what I can gather Miami GT on this site might be your man to talk to ut I don' know how helpful he'll be if you haven't bought from him. Where are you based - might be a member locally that could help.

Ah - just noticed - Harrogate , no where near me I'm affraid.

Hi

Copies should also be fiberglass, if its plastic then you are in trouble!!! I have the original skirts and spats on mine as i wanted to see if they would fit perfectly (due to the replicas needing mods to fit) and even these were a pain to fit and the retail is 3-4 times as much!

Sounds like this bodyshop have not done this before mate, if i was you i would take it somewhere that has as if they are fitting a bumper without even offering it up then they sound like they dont know what they are doing as this should always be done, replica, stock, original etc it doesnt matter.

If they start cutting heavily into it it could loose its strengh and integrity and cause it to be really weak. There are some really dodgy kits on Ebay at the minute, im trying to push mine on there as they are a lot better than most on there!!!

Give Dude a call he is always willing to offer an honest viewpoint.....

The kit (bad experieince talking now) MUST be painted after its fitted...

I took mine to 2 or 3 places (Hoping to cut a few corners and have it painted so I could fit it later (for free)) And they all insisted that it must be modded and cut (Like all of them practically) and then fitted, and finally painted and cut in with the rest of the areas around them......Too much flexing if painted first, will probably crack and need re-doing...Best place i used put the lot in their oven to warm up first so they were a little more flexible and fitted MUCH nicer...

As the other guys have already said it is probably a copy.

Also will need fitting up before painting and eventual fitment.

The warmer the better.

I have a veilside c1 copy on my supe.

You need to be a little brutal getting the side skirts on and they will go eventually.

Your biggest problem is the nose cone / the top of the bumper which stretches up and goes between the headlights is a pig and looks like it is approx 8 inches down from the posn it should be.

With mine we criss crossed the back with a grinder, then stretched it to the approx posn and held it in place with wooden battens to resemble actual finish dimension.

Applied approx 5 coats of fibreglass matting and resin to make it more rigid.

After this painted and fitted.

Took approx 2 days to grind and fibreglass the nose.

Took all day one saturday to fit the nose, me and my mate, also had to cut away some of the under tray to get it to fit.

I know exactly where these guys are coming from as i thought when i first tried my nose cone up for fit that it would never go.

Best of luck in any case.

Rgds

John Fisher

VeilSide stuff is fibreglass but what you have got sounds like a poor quality copy.

Couldn't afford genuine article Jake, concentrating on the Turbo Conversion more, so all free cash is going into saving for that at the moment. Plus, the kit looks really smart painted up so no one should be able to tell unless they wanted to lay under the car with a magnifying glass, which no one ever really does! :tongue: .(Just wish they'd fittted it first!! :shrug: )