The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Headlight cleaning/painting checklist

Getrag

Just to make sure I have everything I need before I start the job and to make sure its goes as quickly as possible I will need the following. Also, can I get all the products I will need at Halfrauds as Im pretty pushed for time.

1. Time

2. Big enough oven

3. This guide http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/headlights/index.html

4. 2000Grit paper (although I think im going to go the tcut/brasso/plastic polish route)

5. To reseal - methoxymethylethyl acetate (sealocrete all weather sealant).From some diy/halfrauds i guess.

6. Black paint, now this is where I need most advice. What and how to paint them black to get that facelift look? Halfords Grey Primer then Halfords MATT BLACK UHT (high temp)? And any tips for masking the chrome rings?

Other cleaning products I have incase I need to use them, turtle was tcut, auotsol metal polish, brasso.

So...any little words of wisdom from people that have done them?

Cheers peeps.

Its easy. I did mine twice: Once for a clean and then again to make them look "facelift" before I sold them.

Don't let the oven get much hotter than 100degrees. Keep putting them in for a couple of minutes at a time. Expect to have to repeat this several times to get them apart.

For painting the inserts, just use normal practise for masking and rubbing down. I used Halfrauds grey plastic primer and Halfrauds Satin Black paint. Two coats of primer and three of top coat.

Go for it!

Agreed it is fairly easy. Just do it, dont worry about putting plastic in the oven, its "only" 100degrees and only for a few mins. I got a helping hand with a hot hairdryer to get them open. I only used 2 cleaning products, brasso wads and Novus 1 and they have come out really really well.

Other tips I can think of,

Put tape on your bumper infront of your lights to avoid scratching the bumper.

Put something around the lights when you put them in the oven to stop them burning against the hot sides.

Dont get worried at first, it takes a bit of elbow grease.

Will post pics when I get my digicam back.