The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie N/A Test Drive??

Scottrw

Hey guys..... Thanks for all the advise & help I got quizzing a few of you last night!

Now although I would love a TT it seems that at the moment the only financially viable option for me to join the Supra fold is to go the n/a way.

Now I know a few of you on here are very enthusiastic about your n/a cars which is cool..... A couple of the TT boys were kind enough to offer to take me for a spin so that I could see what the TT can do! Great but..... I think if I did that then I would never be happy with a n/a.

So what Im asking is if there is anyone fairly close to me with n/a that could maybe show me around there pride & joy & maybe give me a few pointers in what to look out for & most importnantly, performance wise what I can expect from the car.

I have previously owned a Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec & I am informed that performance may be somewhat similar.

So what do you think? Any help would be gratefully recieved.....

Yours

Confused Newbie

If you have driven or been in a TT it will be hard for you to cope with the NA, you will always be craving the big power... slippery slope here we come...

I will have suprachicks NA in the middle of June, and I could take you out in that, and you can if you want compare it to my single..

Gav

PS : Pay your membership, you know you want to..

If you have driven or been in a TT it will be hard for you to cope with the NA, you will always be craving the big power... slippery slope here we come...

Nonsense. I had a TT for 6 weeks last year. I was pretty disappointed with the performance gain compared to my NA. Especially on a £ per £ basis.

Ok it must've been quicker...but it didn't feel much quicker. Perhaps if you spend another grand or two on mods then it would fly, but cash sounds like a restriction.

I do still plan to buy another TT in the future.

Dont be fooled into thinking an N/A is the poorer mans option.........

A lot of Japanese guys i know opt for the N/A on a purely more driveable and day to day basis, and that they can throw them around a bit for less money and less worry if something goes pop ! :clap:

I have had a TT and now an N/A and personally i prefer the N/A, for a) the price and b) less to worry about lol.

Its all personal opinion though. :thumbs:

Wow!! Ok guys well I like the sound of that... Although I suspect many people say it cos they dont have TT's!? Oh I dunno...... I do fancy one but part of me is saying just use the money I have to mod my Sol!!

My hubby has a TT and I have much more fun "playing" with my car than I do his, yes the excelleration is amazing, but I'd still have my car over his.

Hmmm interesting... There seems to be split decisions on here! Im am growing incresing keen thouhgh it has to be said. & if I could get the interior similar to that on CJ's then I would be well happy!

Does anyone know where that was done by the way? Im just loving the leather dash part... mmmmm

Don't know if it helps any but I had a MK4 Prelude (and a MK3 and 2) and I now own a N/A Supra and can hand on heart say that it feels a lot quicker :thumbs:

Not sure how that works out on paper but as much as I used to love my prelude the Supra just feels better all round, just a bit more of a grown ups car (can't believe I just typed that :limp: )

Sure whatever you end up with you'll love it, a Supra is a Supra no matter what's under the bonnet :thumbs:

Hmmm interesting... There seems to be split decisions on here! Im am growing incresing keen thouhgh it has to be said. & if I could get the interior similar to that on CJ's then I would be well happy!

Does anyone know where that was done by the way? Im just loving the leather dash part... mmmmm

If you are really interested, I have 2 bits of the covered dash spare and for sale. They are the main dial surround and the panel that holds the head unit. The head unit has a single din socket and holes for 3 gauges.

If you want a blast in an N/A you're more than welcome to have a crack in mine! I'm in Lincoln (not too far away) and I'm not disappointed at all - had the car for about 6 weeks now (had a BMW 325i before) and the power is fine (auto too). I'm sure if I had a go in a TT I'd crave one (which is why I haven't!!). Offer's there anyway!

The difference you will get with the Supra to the Prelude is high up in the rev range and speed range:

1) The preludes VTEc comes in at 4200rpm and carries on for a while, but you must keep the car on the boil to get the most out of the motor, it has a kerb weigh of 1240kg which is a couple of 100kg less than the Supra so exceleration is good from the start.

2) The N/A supra (non-VVTi) has a wide power-band with a little "kick" about 5500rpm and it accelerates well at any revs.

3) Handling is much much better on the Supra, due to its wide stance and large tyres.

4) The Supra's suspension is much better at its job than the Prelude (Honda go for soft springs to give a more forgiving ride!) Although dimensionally there is not much difference in thier sizes, the Supra feels much more!

5) Go and test drive some Supra, I am sure we will all guarantee, that by the end of the drive your hand will not sign the order form quick enough!

:tempted:

Ok guys thanks for all the info... Sounds very cool!! In response to CJ you are selling the leather dash surround that is on your Supra in the pics in your garage!?? I would definately be interested!! Would you mind sending me a couple of recent pics as I just want to check what the condition is lkike now (although Im sure still mint!) What sort of money are you looking for?

The only concern would be the three holes for guages, as if I do buy one it'll probably be a n/a!

Oh & Ellis..... thanks very much for the offer but I suspect you are just a tad too far away!! lol Thanks anyway.

I am not selling all the dash, just the two bits mentioned. The 3 gauge holes are not a problem as they cover the one part of the double din socket and the other part is left open for the head unit - therefore applicable to the N/A or TT.

The reason I am selling is because I wanted to put a carputer screen in the double din socket so had to have a new one made and leathered and the main dial piece had another done as I wanted to put silver rings around the holders.

As for a price, i am not sure - send me a PM with an offer if interested.:thumbs: