The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dash Refurbish

Nic

I'm in the middle of refurbishing my dash, I've started by removing the panel around the gear stick and have been using the car without it today, I'm just wondering how many panels I can remove and still be able to use the car. I realise it's not going to look pretty for a short while, but I need to keep using the car as long as I can.

Has anyone else managed to still drive their car without any dash panels?

Let me know how that goes Nic. I have two issues on my dash. The lip just above the steering wheel is warped and slightly pulling up in a small spot and the defrost/windshield vent up front is sunkin. When I put the air on defrost, it throws up small particles of insulation at me. Not nice.

i've been without the dial surround on mine for ages since puttin my fist through it after the Carling Cup final! think it's the obvious ones you need like the indicators etc and the bit across the top with the warning lights. i don't really know so i've just wasted your time :D

I've used mine without the main dash panel. The car works OK but it gets bloody hot inside the cabin because with no switches connected the aircon runs at Max heat and the left hand vent can't be turned off. Not very nice.

And make sure if you have airbags, you plug in the top section electrics of the dash before turning on the igntion.

You can take off all the controls from the dash plastics and plug them in, while they may be floating, at least you have full functionality while the plastics are out.

Gav

Cheers guys for the advice, all panels except the top one are now off. Next job is to spend another few hours trying to get the rubbery crap off them :complain:

Whilst I've got the panels are off I'm also going to mount the RLTC inside and get all the LED's changed to blue. Wish me luck!

Almost finished sanding down my second set of dash panels in a week. These were a lot easier as there was no paint to remove just the rubber stuff.

The rubber finish on my panels was very soft so I got an old plastic credit card and used it as a scrapper to scrap as mush of teh rubber off as possible. I then used a foam sanding block and water and teh remaining rubber finish just flaked off quite easily.

My next job is sanding down the spark plug cover back to the plastic, this is going to be a real pain though because of the embossed lettering on it.

You could always go for CF with a difference?

Dave :nyah:

That's my plan Dave to get both dash sets carbon fibre-ised. Did you get yours done yourself? Looks very good, did you lacquer over the top of the transfer?

[thread=34660]HERE[/thread] are some more photos that look very similar.

All the dash panels and door cards are stripped out of my car now. I have taken the switch units off the panels and reattached these so all the electric are still working and I can still drive the car. It looks a bit scarey at the moment but hopefully once everything is refurbished and put back together it will look good.

Whilst I have the door cards are off I'm also going to try to make brackets to mount the speakers.

Did you get yours done yourself? Looks very good, did you lacquer over the top of the transfer?

[thread=34660]HERE[/thread] are some more photos that look very similar.

Mine where dipped into a liquid solution with the CF transfer sitting on top, so the panels pass through the design, therefore there are no edges or unsightly exposed or uncovered areas.

It looks 100% better in the flesh.

The high gloss finish is part of the process, they can also do a Matt finish, in fact they can do any design too, doesnt have to be CF although they have several CF dfesigns on their books.

Dave :devil: