The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What can I do to my Supra

Max Headroom

I was thinking if there is anything I could do to my Supra to not necessarily make it go faster but make it go better, if you catch my drift. I have a J Spec NA and I am wondering if there was any mods I could do.

I already have a lot of the cosmetic details covered, is there anything engine wise or fuel wise I can do to make the car better. I read about FCD and uprated fuel pumps and things and think do I need one of those.

Being absolutely non-technical, I hear about all different types of things and I have used the search button and technical FAQs, but a lot of it goes over my head. The bottom line is I LOVE MY SUPRA and if there is anything I can do to make it better I will do it. :thanks:

Tinted.jpg

To make it go better and not necesarrily faster then you must be talking about suspension options and brake upgrades.

Tein suspension are a popular option for BBS members and an upgrade to UK-spec brakes (with appropriate alloys).

To get more power from an NA then if you've not already done so the option would be a de-cat and a faster flowing exhaust.

I was thinking if there is anything I could do to my Supra to not necessarily make it go faster but make it go better, if you catch my drift. I have a J Spec NA and I am wondering if there was any mods I could do.

I already have a lot of the cosmetic details covered, is there anything engine wise or fuel wise I can do to make the car better. I read about FCD and uprated fuel pumps and things and think do I need one of those.

Being absolutely non-technical, I hear about all different types of things and I have used the search button and technical FAQs, but a lot of it goes over my head. The bottom line is I LOVE MY SUPRA and if there is anything I can do to make it better I will do it. :thanks:

FCD or Fuel Cut Defender is only for the turbo models so you don't need one of these :D The TT has an inbuilt safety mode where by if it senses boost pressure from teh turbos over 1bar it wil cut all teh fuel to the cylinders, it is a safety measure to stop the turbos from overboosting and potentially blowing the engine.

Fueling wise you don't need to do anything. It is only on the turbo cars when you are forcing more air into the engine that you need to make sure you have sufficient fuel going in also. Your NA doesn't have forced induction so the fueling should be adequate.

There are not many performance mods you can do to an NA that will give you big performance increases, the only ones that may give you a bit more power are to remove both cats and to fit an aftermarket, performance exhaust. This may give you an extra 10-15% hp and make the car sound a lot louder.

Thanks guys, I did have the brake upgrade on my "shopping list", and kopite will understand when I say I will have to save up for them, working where I do and I had thought of the new exhaust. What I hadn't thought about was the suspension upgrade, thanks foe that AJI and thanks Nic for explaining it to me in non-techie terms so that a numptie like me can understand.

Thanks guys, I did have the brake upgrade on my "shopping list", and kopite will understand when I say I will have to save up for them, working where I do and I had thought of the new exhaust. What I hadn't thought about was the suspension upgrade, thanks foe that AJI and thanks Nic for explaining it to me in non-techie terms so that a numptie like me can understand.

Brakes, suspension and good quality tyres will all increase the performance and your enjoyment of the car. If your car is one of the early models I would also get your suspension bushes and dampers checked out, they will probably be getting very tired now if they are the original ones. Fitting new bushes and dampers will tighten up the handling and ride quality.

Interesting Nic. I've always thought my ride was 'crashey' and my car is 12 years old - I think I'll get these checked out at the next service. How much would I be looking at?

$190 for the fronts from Dusty :thumbs: They're called R2 Racing I think. I'll be getting some sent with the next 'Madness Group Buy'

There are not many performance mods you can do to an NA that will give you big performance increases, the only ones that may give you a bit more power are to remove both cats and to fit an aftermarket, performance exhaust. This may give you an extra 10-15% hp and make the car sound a lot louder.

You could fit some higher lift cams and an air induction kit to irk a wee bit more power but not much. :tumble:

Now going NA-T would help :devil:

Remove the sticker, clean it and then paint it black will make it go much faster - honest :trust: