The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brembo Brake Kit Weights

Nic

Am I right in thinking that a big Brembo front brake kit actually weighs less than a stock Toyota brake kit? A pair of stock front brakes weighs around 35kg, from the information I've been able to find the Brembos weigh between 27.5kg - 28.5kg depending on disc size. Can anyone confirm this or point me in the direction of where I could find out the info.

:thanks:

I bought mine from MVP and this is the information they publish:

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=199&SearchYN=N

I've no idea if they are lighter as I didn't weigh them before fitment...

:thanks: Nick, that's where I'd found the weights above, I just wanted to double check them though as it will effect the postage cost quite a bit if I get it wrong.

Guest El Cid

Assuming you get the kit with the aluminum hats it should weigh less. As much as I want the 14" (355mm) Brembo kit... it would prevent me from using my OEM 17" wheels for track days and autoX events. I was thinking about getting high quality rotors (2 piece, aluminum hat) to save some unsprung weight.

Assuming you get the kit with the aluminum hats it should weigh less. As much as I want the 14" (355mm) Brembo kit... it would prevent me from using my OEM 17" wheels for track days and autoX events. I was thinking about getting high quality rotors (2 piece, aluminum hat) to save some unsprung weight.

I've heard that the TRD brake kit is very good and it uses the same disc size (323mm) as stock, so will fit under stock 17" wheels. The TRD calipers are a single casting (rather than two separate halves) so are very rigid. You can also buy the calipers separately and use them with the stock discs, more details HERE

Guest El Cid
I've heard that the TRD brake kit is very good and it uses the same disc size (323mm) as stock, so will fit under stock 17" wheels. The TRD calipers are a single casting (rather than two separate halves) so are very rigid. You can also buy the calipers separately and use them with the stock discs, more details HERE

Excellent!! Thank you. Is this a Euro only item? I did a search on supraforums and nothing came up. I like that I can still swap the pads through the top w/o removing the caliper too. :)

Excellent!! Thank you. Is this a Euro only item? I did a search on supraforums and nothing came up. I like that I can still swap the pads through the top w/o removing the caliper too. :)

The brakes are mainly sold in Japan and Asia, if you're interested I can sort you out a delivered price from here in Hong Kong as I can get TRD/Toyota parts at very good prices here. Where in the US are you?

Guest El Cid
The brakes are mainly sold in Japan and Asia, if you're interested I can sort you out a delivered price from here in Hong Kong as I can get TRD/Toyota parts at very good prices here. Where in the US are you?

I'm in VA, but it will be a while before I'm ready to buy. I just dropped a bunch of $$ on the wheels and exhaust. I will definitely contact you though when it is time. Are there two-piece rotors available or will I need to get those someplace else?

I'm in VA, but it will be a while before I'm ready to buy. I just dropped a bunch of $$ on the wheels and exhaust. I will definitely contact you though when it is time. Are there two-piece rotors available or will I need to get those someplace else?

The only 2 piece discs to fit stock calipers I know of are the Project Mu SCR Pro see HERE and discs made by Endless, see HERE

I have the SCR Pro's fitted, they are quite a bit lighter than stock and very good quality.

Guest El Cid
The only 2 piece discs to fit stock calipers I know of are the Project Mu SCR Pro see HERE and discs made by Endless, see HERE

I have the SCR Pro's fitted, they are quite a bit lighter than stock and very good quality.

Thanks! I was actually thinking about the Baer Eradispeed (w/o the drilling and slotting). Do the Endless or PM SCR come w/o or is slotted the only choice? I ask bcz I road race and autoX.

Chris Wilson can make two piece disks with brembo or AP if I remember correctly plus I had mine made up by some other mob :-

http://www.blctechnology.com/wespage/gallery/brakes/P0001573.JPG

:clap: