The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie.. Please help with buying advise!!

Scottrw

Hey guys... Great forum!!

I know us newbies can be a pain in the arse so I will try not to be too dumb!!

Currently I have a Honda CRX Del Sol!! I have some money to spend & I was gonna spend it on mods for that!! Bodykit, performance mods & the like!! I then got to thinking that I could just sell the car & add the money together to buy a new one!!

I would only ever buy Japanese so I came nack to RX7, 300 ZX & Supra!!

RX7 Im informed will ruin me as Im not a rich playboy!! Although I think its gorgeous its probably unrealistic!!

Im not too sure about the 300zx anymore... again, a monster of a car but I think begining to look dated!!

So.... the Supra!! Gorgeous & a thought helped by this months Max Power!! So I have read up a little & it seems that reliability is good & performance is high!! Great!!

So what next!!

:help:

Well what can you guys tell me!?? What sorta price am I looking at!?? I doubt I could afford a newer one so would prob be looking around 92/93/94.... What could I expect to get around this age & what major problems might I find!? (if any)......

I also like styling mods such as bodykits & the like & have seen quite a few lovely examples on here!! SO can you point me in the right direction!!

I just need to be sure that I want to do this rather than Mod my sweet little Sol!!

Looking forward to your replies with thanks!! Scott :respekt:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You can reliabliy get 350BHP and used as a daily driver with no problems at all.

The TT import is normally cheaper to insure then the NA. The UK TT model is cheaper again.

Look in the cars for sale section on here and autotrader for prices.

Higher mileage really shouldnt have too many problems. I guess if it been serviced well thing that might give up eventually is the turbo's.

Ive had my NA, 2yrs not 1 problem. But i know ull want a TT as your after Power.

hope this helps a little at least!

Welcome mate :)

Currently I have a Honda CRX Del Sol!! I have some money to spend & I was gonna spend it on mods for that!! Bodykit, performance mods & the like!! I then got to thinking that I could just sell the car & add the money together to buy a new one!!

Good choice :D

I would only ever buy Japanese so I came nack to RX7, 300 ZX & Supra!!

That’s 3 very different cars there! The RX7 is the track day baby, reasonable to purchase, running costs are about on par with the Supra, except if you get one that needs new rotor tips! Handling is superb and there damn quick in a straight line.

The Supra is more of a GT car, heavier than the Rex but can still out corner most cars. Devastatingly fast in a straight line/motorway runs. Reliable as you could want and with less than a grand’s worth of mods you can easily see 400bhp out of a TT.

The 300zx is a bit old hat now, old technology and expensive to maintain and modify. Not in the same league as the Supra at all.

Max Power!!

Oh dear!!!

Well what can you guys tell me!?? What sorta price am I looking at!?? I doubt I could afford a newer one so would prob be looking around 92/93/94.... What could I expect to get around this age & what major problems might I find!? (if any)......

It really depends what you're looking for. TT Auto is best bang for buck, you should be able to pick one up around the £7-9k mark (dependant on condition, etc).

NA's can be as low as £4.5k but there’s not much difference in maintenance and insurance costs. Plus there's not a lot you can do to get more power from an NA.

Also 93 is the earliest year for a mkiv.

I also like styling mods such as bodykits & the like & have seen quite a few lovely examples on here!! SO can you point me in the right direction!!

Lots of options there, check the traders sections of the forum!

Good luck and remember the Search button is your friend! :)

best you can do is do a little research on here using the search button. price wise you can get a supra quite cheap now. are you after a manual or an auto? there's a fair few UK autos for sale. there's a few differances between the UK and JDM car but they are both EQUALLY AS GOOD!!! :D (before another UK v Jspec "discussion" starts).

Insurance on a UK is very cheap if you've got an ok record - UK Supra for me at 22 with 1 years NCB (no points or claims etc) was £1050, some people have got a lot cheaper though!! You'll struggle to find a UK manual although there was a couple up for sale recently! the auto box on the supra is meant to be VERY good but i'm personally not a fan of any autos.

Jspec manuals can go for £9k upwards really for a good one. If you want, speak to Jurgen or Paul E on here - they deal with importing one for you and a few people off here have used them.

If a car's been looked after, high mileage isn't too much of a problem. FYI jspec turbos die before the steel UK ones, on average around the 80k mark so bear that in mind!

EDIT: ive just repeated a lot of what Homer said but he types quicker :D

Lol!! Think I got a head start, I take fecking ages to type stuff having fat fingers and all!! :D

Scott, I think this all boils down to what spec car you're after and what your budget is:

Manual vs auto

Aero vs hardtop

TT vs NA

Ooooo, controversial.

a tad yeah :innocent: should also have said there's plenty of jspec turbos that have lasted over 100k and some UKs that have died well before then! and that it depends on how well they're cared for / or how hard they're pushed. couldn't be arsed though :D

Ok guys thanks for the info so far!!

Well a couple of comments in there I was expecting..... I will address in turn!! a Max Power!! In my defence my girlfriend bought it for me.... It is a Jap special & she bought it as a present which is kinda sweet really!! & to be fair the three Supras featured are awesome!!

Secondly Search!! I knew Id get this which is why I apologised for being a newbie!! lol

Anyway..... I know from what I read on here the Supra Auto is very good!! I have to admit Im one of the old school that usually insists on manual!! But Im all for trying this out which opens up my options right!??

ok not too worried if its aerotop or hard top!! I understand the hardtop is cheaper so may be a better option!! Although the aerotop in the Fast & the Furious was cool... go on tell me Im a muppet!!

& definately the TT... No point in me having a Supra if its just for the looks is there!??

so... we know what Im after..... Budget wise I was hoping a little less moolah!! like 6 grand!! Shock horror!!

Okay, so you're after a TT hardtop 6 speed. For a good condition Jap spec you're looking at 9k minimum, UK spec will be more but high mileage ones will still be above the jap specs.

PS: J-Tuner magazine have a big feature this month on the Supra (In fact Supra's from this forum). Max power is shite, most tuners here won't even allow their cars to be featured in it.

Alright chillout!! I havent actually seen J Tuner magazine anywhere!!

For your info also there will be a feature on quite an impressive Del Sol in the August issue.... Although Im sure you would turn your nose up at that!!??

Alright chillout!! I havent actually seen J Tuner magazine anywhere!!

For your info also there will be a feature on quite an impressive Del Sol in the August issue.... Although Im sure you would turn your nose up at that!!??

Sorry mate, Lax Power has a rather poor reputation here (well in fact on most Jap car forums!). They've done a couple of features of members cars and just got sooooo much wrong in their articles.

BTW: This is a very friendly place dude, you ask a question, you'll get an honest (and in most cases!) an informed reply :thumbs: :D

Not the friendliest of forums this though eh!?? Are the majority of owners on here so Elitest!??
It's a friendly place really mate. There's just a lot of piss taking but it's rarely nasty. You get used to it if you stick around. :D

TBH, I don't even know what a CRX Dela Soul is

Dela Soul..... Its cool Im just kidding!! I want big power but to be honest Im finding it slightly difficult to justy spending that sorta money!! Im just not sure....... I mean for 9grand I'd get a pretty hot RX7 I reckon!! But again reliability!!??

What sorta power are the NA cars kicking out!?? But then again... they're just not turbos are they!??

& for the record!! Im not a Max Power fan!! I have only ever driven Jap cars.......... So there!! phhhhrrrrp!!

Jurgen can sort you out an RX7 if you prefer mate

http://www.jm-imports.co.uk

and usually this is a friendly place, as one of the other TWATS said it's just a lot of piss takin. but they don't know anything because they're all WANKERS! :D

Dela Soul..... Its cool Im just kidding!! I want big power but to be honest Im finding it slightly difficult to justy spending that sorta money!! Im just not sure....... I mean for 9grand I'd get a pretty hot RX7 I reckon!! But again reliability!!??

What sorta power are the NA cars kicking out!?? But then again... they're just not turbos are they!??

& for the record!! Im not a Max Power fan!! I have only ever driven Jap cars.......... So there!! phhhhrrrrp!!

A genuine question, but how old are you?

Before you decide on the RX7, ask around at maintenance costs and running costs. I was going to buy one as a second car but when i found out that they are evn less economical than a TT, I walked away :run:

Dear god Homer!! Now suggesting Im some Chav Burburry wearing kid!!

Im 29..... I have a good steady job & regular income!! I own my own place... I have a long term girlfirend & a genuine passion for Japanese cars.... I am currently researching my options within my budget to decide what the best & most enjoyable for me would be!!

Previous cars include A Mazda Mx-3 V6 followed by a Honda Prelude 2.2 vtec, followed by an MR2 twin turbo, followed by a Nissan 200sx S-13, followed by a Honda Del Sol!!!

Now I want power again as running costs arent such an issue!??

Can I stay on the forum now!??

How old are you!?? & do I pass the criterea!?

Scottrw, I've been a member for a little over a month. You gotta' learn, as I did, that most people are just joshing ya and you gotta' get some thicker skin. The friendly, although sometimes harsh, bantering is all meant in a friendly way. Nobody's that :limp: that they'd give you sh*t just because. I used to be a kitted civic owner man, so I understand your pride. Dude's on this site aren't Elitists. They're realists who have been there, done that, got the shirt, ya know? When you own one of the greatest sportscars the auto industry has ever created, it's easy to look down upon lowly dime-a-dozen entry level cars and the mags that support them. You'll see the light *insert blues brothers clip here* after you buy a supra. Beg, barrow, but don't steal to get your supra. Read the forums and listen to the motor-heads on this site. They're very willing to help you out in ways you'll never know. Sorry, no hander's as of yet. :shrug:

Now suggesting Im some Chav Burburry wearing kid!!

Chill out mate, that wasn't the reason I asked at all. It was to do with your prospective insurance costs, if you're under 21 then insurance on these cars can be a real issue (i.e. very, very few companies will quote you). You're 25+ so shouldn't have a problem...

As other have said if you're after a nice car then Jurgen, Miami-GT and Whifbitz are pretty much the best you can get. Jurgen will be able to source a car to your exact specifications so perhaps he's a good 1st point of call.

Thats all fair enough...... & I can take a joke, no problem....... The point that I was trying to make was that the Supra wasn't my first choice & so therefore am not gonna get straight into the position of saying oh ok I will spend 9 grand when I only intended spending 6-7...... There are many options out there & I was trying to get a bit of background before making a decision!!

Thank you to those that offered advise.........