The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looking to buy a Supra.

Guest tim_m

Guest tim_m

Hi all. This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can offer some advice about running costs for a Supra Non-Turbo please.

I will be looking for a Non-turbo becasue I guess the running costs will be much more less a TT, and to be honest, I only want the car for it's looks rather than it's performance. A 3 litre NA will be more than enough power for my needs. I am looking for a completely standard UK Car.

Insurance was supprisingly cheap when I checked Elephant...a mere £340 fully comp (32/good postcode/full NCB etc)- I was expecting it to be over £500 :thanks:

I've read that brake disks cost over £250 each...this cant be right surely? How much are the pads?

What MPG can I expect from a NA?

What is the difference in MPG between an Auto and a Manual?

I would prefer a Manual but these seem to be very rare and you pay more. Also I'm guessing replacing the clutch could require a remortgage your house. Are Auto's generally reliable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A 3 litre NA will be more than enough power for my needs. I am looking for a completely standard UK Car.

All UK Supras are Twin Turbo

I've read that brake disks cost over £250 each...this cant be right surely? How much are the pads?

£250 a pair maybe, £250 each is way too much. Pads go from about £50 up, depending on make, spec etc

Are Auto's generally reliable?
Very. Amazingly so.

Hi all.

:welcome:

This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can offer some advice about running costs for a Supra Non-Turbo please.

I will be looking for a Non-turbo becasue I guess the running costs will be much more less a TT, and to be honest, I only want the car for it's looks rather than it's performance. A 3 litre NA will be more than enough power for my needs. I am looking for a completely standard UK Car.

As Jakes says there is no such thing as a UK NA Supra, all NA's are Jap imports.

Insurance was supprisingly cheap when I checked Elephant...a mere £340 fully comp (32/good postcode/full NCB etc)- I was expecting it to be over £500 :thanks:

Was this for an import though?

Front disc are around £150 from Toyota UK. Pads are around £60 for stock ones, more if you want a good set of fast road pads. Most NA's come with the smaller 2 pot front brakes and 1 pot rears. Many owners upgrade to larger 4 pot fronts and 2 pot rears.

What MPG can I expect from a NA?

What is the difference in MPG between an Auto and a Manual?

Someone else will need to answer this one.

I would prefer a Manual but these seem to be very rare and you pay more. Also I'm guessing replacing the clutch could require a remortgage your house. Are Auto's generally reliable?

I've been told the NA auto box is not quite as good as the TT, not sure how true this is as I've only driven TT's. If maintained well and kept topped up with oil you shouldn't have any problems with the auto or manual boxes. Test drive both and see which you prefer.

The TT's tend to eat clutches, not sure how the NA's compare.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Before deciding on a car read as much as possible on here, use the SEARCH button as most general questions have been answered many times. [thread=38382]THIS THREAD[/thread] has lots of very useful information for buyers, there are also a lot of other informative threads in the FAQ section worth reading.

I also had a low quote as most insurers (I run an N/A) don't have the MKIV Jap import (SZ) down - they quote on the Fi. I got discs for about £117 each - can't remember pad price. I think I'm getting about 20mpg, mostly around town though - looking forward to belting down to London this week so will see what I get then! Mine's an auto and its pretty darned bullet-proof - with 89,000 on the clock I've had it checked over and I'm told its as tight as a nut!

I have a feeling that £340 on an NA is a bit on the wrong side, sure ther car they quoted you on was a MKIV and not a MKIII?

Probably right , my Insurance is just under £300, its definatly insured as a

MKIV , N/A SZ Fully comp.

V

Guest tim_m

Well I never knew all UK Supra's were Twin Turbos...thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for all the advice so far...very usefull.

:welcome:

I've got an NA and the power is fine, it depends what your upgrading from. I bought an NA because I did'nt want to be bothered with the maintenance cost / issues of owning a TT - however thats my perception ask a TT owner if this is true.

At the end of the day a Supra is a Supra and they are all fantastic cars! I was also wary of the Auto - but really like the drive, again I haven't driven a manual one but don't regret buying an Auto.

Hope this helps. :D