The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone insured with Elephant?

Kev.O

Elephant is same as Admiral (which I'm with), my exhaust on my celica T Sport went up by £20 (+£12 admin cost, ie putting the amendments on bit of paper and posting it to me) BUT they don't replace the part with the same, they will only pay for standard parts if in an accident :cry:

On a plus note they quoted me £200 cheaper for an imported Supra TT so, as soon as I find one ;)

IMHO Elephant are hopeless, they can insure up to 6 mods regardless of what they are. Once you mention a dump valve they refuse or cancel insurance since it doesn't exist on their system. I had a very bad experience with them that ended up costing me many thousands (and the possible future sale of my Supra). Try the club insurer SKY or A-Plan special schemes who offer very similar packages.

This is my last year with Elephant - they may be cheap but I get an overwhelming feeling of crapness whenever I deal with them.

The last 'issue' was me moving and my car went from being kept outside in a car park to locked away out of sight in a garage. Difference to my insurance? Zilch. That just can't be right (oh, but they did charge me £10 for changing my address... :rolleyes: )

I would never admit to any bhp increase due to a declared 'mod'.

NEVER. I don't see any way that they can check this, or prove otherwise.

I'd never use the word 'performance' either.

"Stainless exhaust" as a term is more than enough to cover me in case of a claim. If they don't explicitly ask for cfm or backpressure figures I ain't gonna volunteer information, lol...

Same with the boost gauge, you have to declare it, it's bleedin obvious. I call it 'pressure' gauge. If they ask for more info, I'd say 'air pressure'. If they ask for more, I'd say 'intake air pressure'. All the above are correct, and don't sound like a 'boy-racer'.

Mine was £370 but I took off the breakdown cover and something like the hire car cover which Elephant 'kindly' put on (I'm in the AA and could walk to work if I really needed to!) and that lopped off around £50, so I think I'm paying somewhere around the £320 mark, fully comp, with exhaust, alloys and side skirts all declared.

Tesco website quotes me £610 FC.

That's roughy what Adrian Flux quoted me, and the 'club' insurer too.

I was paying *half that* for the Calibra, along with lots of (visible) engine mods. I've never made a claim, and live in a quiet area, car in a garage. Ripoff Britain, not too happy.

I like your philosphy with insurance co's John.

How much HP will that new modification give? Hmmm, not sure, what do you want me to do, go and dyno test it before and after and let you know what the figures are? F**K off!

I once tried to find out how much it would reduce my premium if I fitted a tracker. They didn't even know what one was, and they kept asking if I wanted to fit a cat 2 alarm instead of my cat 1. They even asked how it worked. Oh I'll just do an electrical drawing for you and pop it into the post. W****rs.

Have been with elephant for a few years now and im very impressed, asked about mods and they said extra £180 just for the induction kit, so just waited till nearer renewal time and declared all mods and paid nothing extra, now pay £550 fully comp, declared, alloys, exhaust, induction kit, body kit and ICE..!!

Guest Eternal Rage

I agree that elephant are a bit hit or miss. It is THE only option for me. A standard UK Spec Supra TT is £1350 for me. (23 with 6 points and No NCB). It is the only was i am getting the car i want so i will put up with them. I am paying £1200 for a 1.6 not-so-hot-hatch "Seat Leon" with 19's, Coilovers, Custom Exhaust Body Mods and bits n bobs.

I agree, all mods can be declared as aesthetic only, its how you declare them thats important. As in, why did you change the exhaust... "It is nice and shiney and comes with a lifetime gaurantee"... Why did you upgrade the brakes " So it is a safer car"... What is a Strut Brace? "It makes the car safer under braking" etc etc

...and as for the dump valve, the answer is this, call it something else, like simply an "engine valve"... Why did you fit this valve? "I dont really know what it does but it is a direct replacement for a standard part but is more durable as it is aluminium."

I like your philosphy with insurance co's John..
it works!

How much HP will that new modification give? Hmmm, not sure, what do you want me to do, go and dyno test it before and after and let you know what the figures are? F**K off!.

In reality you should say nothing as far as I know, I do it for cosmetic (or reliability or lower cost) reasons ;)

Calls are recorded, and you should only express opinions, not facts or figures -- opinions are subjective, the others are not. Big difference in legal terms.

I once tried to find out how much it would reduce my premium if I fitted a tracker. They didn't even know what one was, and they kept asking if I wanted to fit a cat 2 alarm instead of my cat 1. They even asked how it worked. Oh I'll just do an electrical drawing for you and pop it into the post. W****rs.

I prefer to use their inflexibility and ineptitude to my advantage.

Others do as well, for example another member here (allegedly) is paying less insurance for the single conversion, because in their eyes it makes less power with one turbo instead of two. I would try this argument as well, why not, it makes sense to a non-enthusiast, lol...

Be smart, be creative, after all there is no such thing as absolute truth, just points of view. Try to make them see the world YOUR way. :D

I was with Elephant for a year with my supra.

Every think was insured, a chap drove into the back of me at a set of lights cracking my trial rear bumper. Elephant would not repair the bumper just replace it, AND REPLACE ONLY WITH A STANDARD SUPRA BUMPER, not a trial.

Ended up dealing direct with the other chaps insurance with no problems.

On renewal my premium also went up, they say because of the crash even though it was not my fault.

They don’t repair like for like, only with original.

Now insured with Sky and by fare the best

Also don't fall for the bogus 'Protected NCB' scam.

NCB doesn't mean jack anymore when it comes to pricing down your premium (it DOES pump it up though if you haven't go it, lol)

That's why they ask for number of accidents in the past five years. You could have full "protected" NCB and still pay through the nose if you've had a claim or two in the recent past.

I prefer to use their inflexibility and ineptitude to my advantage.

Others do as well, for example another member here (allegedly) is paying less insurance for the single conversion, because in their eyes it makes less power with one turbo instead of two. I would try this argument as well, why not, it makes sense to a non-enthusiast, lol...

If they don't know my car, they don't get my money simple as that.

If a company makes a note of any mods you tell them of, then you have an accident, the guy they send round to check the condition of the car will 99 times out of 100 have reasonable knowledge regarding the mods you have done and what resulting benefits you will get. He will then therefore issue those details directly to the insurers, thus invalidating your insurance policy.

One way to get away with some things, is to get to know your local police forces salvage company, then you can "visit" your car before the assessor to remove all of your "personal" property.

An EBC can be pulled in a few minutes, emanage can be removed and hidden within an hour, the more obvious things such as wheels, brakes, seats and the like need to be declared as it would look a little suspect removing them, but you could get away with a lot.