The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Race Logic? Will it help?

Spyda

Just had a play with an EVO VI, it had been played with somewhat.

Went along a few dual carriage ways linked by roundabouts, I reeled him in on the straights but he went round the roundabouts quicker than I could, and putting the gap back between us, wich I then pulled in again on the straight. This happened 3 times!

I'm pleased that I have more power than him, but obviously the handling could be better, what should I do? :)

BYE

best thing would be to book yourself into a trackday and experiment on how quick your Supra can go round corners :-)

Seriously though... it's the best thing you can do to realise the full potential of your car.

If this is something you've already done then the other things to look at would be suspension and tyres.

A traction control system wouldn't really help you in this situation IMO. No amount of electronics would help you out if you were to plough into a corner too fast which were to cause severe understeer.

To rely on a traction control system without knowing the grip limits first is a dangerous game. I've alway ran my 400bhp car with no traction control and from building up your knowledge of the car you can see in advance what speed you should be doing for any given corner and then how much power should be applied once you've reached the apex.

I did have the back out on the roundabouts....fairly controlled too. :p

I've got approx 2000 mile Eagle F1 GS-D3's all round on the car, (They've not let me done thus far!)

What about the suspension then? I think it's yellow... :|

Adam.

What was the weather like? If it was wet, while a Supra can certainly press on well in the rain, it won't match an Evo IMHO, 4wd rules in the wet.

In the dry, it is certainly possible, and in this case, a little more driving practice should have you up to speed! :)

I recently replaced all the (11year old) worn bushes, rods, arms etc on my suspension with new TRD and Toyota parts, plus I fitted a set of new HKS Hypermax II coilovers. Doing this has absolutely transformed the handling of the car, no more understeer pushing hard into corners and I can now get on the power down around/out of the corner with huge limits of grip.

If you want to improve the handling of your car get the tired old suspension components renewed, get your tracking checked and get a good set of tyres on each corner.

BTW I also have RLTC fitted, but mine only kicks in now if I'm REALLY pushing extremely hard as the tyres just grip. RLTC is a good aid, but it isn't the cure to handling problems.