The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water in Boot

AntD

Hi

I've had a look in the boot today to remove the cd changer and noticed there's pool of water mainly to the left of the spare tyre well.It has been raining the past few days ,but I never regularly checked the spare tyre area before as I've not had the car for long.As far as the car's history goes its not had any body repairs done.Has anyone else had this problem and is there a general suspect area on the hatch where water could ingress?

Ant :(

I've never heard of this before on a Supra, have you checked the boot seal for any signs of cracks/rips? I don't think there's many areas that water can get into the rear hatch apart from a leaky boot seal.

Is the water collecting in the 'well' area between the boot floor and the rear side panel? Do you have side spats that have been rivited on?

Thanx for the replies.

Its not had any bodykit put on Homer.

Is the water collecting in the 'well' area between the boot floor and the rear side panel?

Not so much so because it doesn't seem to get to the area where the stock cd changer is located.Its more towards the back panel and spare wheel area.

I'm gonna have to check the seal on the rear clusters tomorrow...if its not raining all day :rolleyes:

Well, I may have something to offer on this site afterall. Before I left Japan, I had a similar problem with my supra. Water collecting in the hatch. Traced the problem to eroded glass seal around the rear hatch lid. Corrosion was eating its way around the glass. Windscreen had it too. Just minor cancer. I had a garage take both screens out, kill the cancer, paint, and new seal/rubber around the windscreen/hatch glass. Cost me around 100,000 Yen with a couple of touch-ups where the wife had kissed the garage with the corners. Just my two "p" as you guys from the island say. Start by looking from the outside, then open the "boot" and slightly pull back the seal. Look for water after it rains or signs of water/cancer. Best of luck.

I couldn't see any place where it could be leaking from.None of the trim is wet at all.I wonder if this is why the cd changer is not working and showing ERROR CODE 3.I'm gonna have to use the hosepipe later to see where the water is coming in from,but I don't think its gonna be easy finding the area :cry: I'm trying to upload some pics up ,but won't work.

• 2 years later...
Hi

I've had a look in the boot today to remove the cd changer and noticed there's pool of water mainly to the left of the spare tyre well.It has been raining the past few days ,but I never regularly checked the spare tyre area before as I've not had the car for long.As far as the car's history goes its not had any body repairs done.Has anyone else had this problem and is there a general suspect area on the hatch where water could ingress?

Ant :(

Did you ever find out where the leak was coming from? i have the exact same problem????

• 12 years later...

Check the body lines above the rear light clusters.

Where the rear panel meets the 1/4 panels, the seam can split, allowing water in.

Pull the rear lights and boot trims out, and pour water around the perimeter. You'll see immediately if water enters the boot area.

A small smear of sikaflex or similar will cure it.