The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crash damage.

rik

I'm thinking of buying this TT auto that is availiable to me for a good price.It has light front end damage. Was wondering if anyone has repaired similar type damage. To me it looks "Do-able". Just after any help/advice. I understand it's hard to tell by pics but any contributions would be great. It's the slam panel and the other structural stuff obviously my concern. Would love to have a Supra, this could be a way in for me.

supra1.jpg

supra2.jpg

supra3.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

don't seem that bad, but check along the top of the inner wings along the line were the outer wings are bolted. as thats were it normally kinks when the chassis legs take a heavy impact. if so then it will require pulling and chassis re-alignment

Thanks guys. Yes it is a custom colour, would probably go for a full respray anyway. I've priced up some parts, headlights and after-market panels, and saw an old ad for an I/C on here for £85. My main concern is sourcing the front panels which the lights bolt into. The thing is, the car is available quite cheap so it's tempting. Just after any hidden pitfalls that you guys may know of. :thanks:

supra4.jpg

You MUST get the chassis rails checked, the drivers one looks like its taken a knock, even a millimetre out will compromise the handling.

Is the suspension okay, any damage the wishbones (check for cracks) and are the shocks okay? Also, as already mentioned make sure the inner wings show NO sign of creases. If these are bent then you the repair cost will increase significantly.

Provided the suspension and inner wings are okay I think you're looking at an absolute minimum of £1.5k to repair, provided you do the work yourself. If the inner wings are gone or the rails are bent then you're looking at £3k+. More if the suspension needs replacing too (Suspension parts for the Supra are very expensive).

Is this on the v-car? if so I think you should seriously consider if its worth the effort.

I don't think that looks bad at all. They look like they're write-offs as soon as you remove the lights and bumpers anyway!

As already said, price up the parts from Toyota, I'm almost certain the front panel is still available and it's not too expensive. with a bit of careful shopping, and assuming you can do most of the work yourself I'm certain you'd get that back on the road for under £1k.

Have a good look around in the crumple zones and the inner wing seams to see how bad the impact was to the chassis legs, but going by those pictures, it doesn't look to drastic at all.

theres a member on here with that colour car.

I thought that too, Phil the fixer's car is very close to that shade, had a look at some photo's from last years Santa Pod meet where I saw it last to check out some details, Phil's is an Aero-top so its not his car thankfully.

Thanks for all the input guys. I have worked in a bodyshop in the past, so not entirely new to crash damage. Just would hate to get into this, and find out there is some big problem that is common knowledge. As best as i can tell in my experience, it's fairly easily repairable. And I do have the time, and would be able to do the panel work and paint prep myself, so looks like I need to make a decision.

Cheers.

Rik.

I would also factor in the costs of having it on a jig, you never know, what if the whole thing has pulled by a few millimetres?

You can't easily tell just by looking at photos

If you can get it for a couple of grand then fine, or else there are loads of cheap, perfectly good TTs out there that you can test drive without mincing about...

All right mate, my car had similar damage to this but no structual damage. Here a list of some of the parts I had to buy.

Bonnett second hand £180

Glass head lingts from Envy £341 icl pp

Front mounted intercooler £500

Front bumper from Hyperperformance £400

numerous things from Toyota, if you look at the attachment below you'll see all the prices without v.a.t.

If you tell them you are a member of the owners club you should get 10% disscount. I did anyway.

Hope this helps Jeff.

supra usa 034.jpg

buy it fella! hey at least if it goes tits up you could part it out on this site and probibly get your money back for it, is it a manual or auto??

It's an auto mate. And yes to JohnA, I can get it within this price. Would not normaly have a problem laying me hands on a couple of grand but one thing and another, that's not so at the minute. Which is realy frustrating. If I do russle up the funds and get it, I'll let you know.

Cheers.