The mkiv Supra Owners Club

video I found / dv sound / TT or aerotop

Guest frp

OK, I have been looking around for the past couple of weeks or so for aerotop N/As as they are in (or close to) my (ever expanding) budget. However, after searching the net for videos today... I came across this:

http://supra.sysadmin-racing.com/videos/Compilations/The_Big_Video/TheBigSupraVideo.mpg

WARNING: Huge download (72mb)

If you already have it great, if not and you are on bb, download it - it's great (called "The big supra video" - I sense this will not be new to most and the owner is probably on here)

Anyway... about 2/3 of the way through there is a light blue aerotop which seems super quick and has a phenomenal sound (presumably this is the dump valve). I've heard many DVs (mostly on ford RSs) and they all seem to make a psssssshhhhh noise. This one however seems to make a tzzzzzz with a springy coily sound - sorry if this is a terrible way to describe it.

Basically... after seeing that I am seriously considering sacrificing aero for TT (that way I can get manual too! :cool: )

I know there will be some die-hard aero fans, and some die-hard TT fans, but make no mistake... there is NO chance I can afford an aero TT, and if I do go TT it will be the very cheap end of the market. And I fear you will say that sound comes with £10k worth of mods!

What do you think? I can't stop watching it, it sends shivers down my spine!

Yeah, wastegate or turbo chatter.

It is a cool sound at first but I think that sound would get on my tits after a very short time.

LOL!! quite possibly. That is such a gorgeous sound!

I love the way the front of the car rises with the power and drops on gearchange!

Hell there is no WAY i am getting anything different after seeing that!!

at 2:08 that white car is how I want mine to look. Love those vents and love it in white.

the green car at 2:50 - does that have NOS? sounds like wheelspin?

so single conversion then... i guess thats a lot more insurance (let alone cash). There is a white aero on autotrader at the moment £4500, 67k. Damaged and repaired tho.

sorry for my ignorance but what is a external wastegate?

It's a wastegate that dumps to the atmosphere rather than into the downpipe.

mmmmmm gonna have to pick you up on that :) an external wastegate is one that isn't built in to the turbo itself. Dinky OEM type turbos have integral wastegates for packaging and cost reasons. Big turbos need a wastegate external to them. A big wastegate :)

Either you can have a blend pipe, that blends the wastegate output back into the main exhaust, or you can have a dump pipe (or screamer pipe) that vents unsilenced to atmosphere. Yum :)

-Ian