The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Motec has landed

CJ

Well, after a long time off the road, the Orange Beast is back - and with a vengeance :devil: For those of you who didn't know, I had problems whereby I blew and exhaust valve and I decided to bite the bullet and fix / strengthen the lot (well almost).

The car was taken to Jagman at Cwmbran for the engine rebuilding. Whilst there he changed the valves, retainers, springs and head gasket and whilst the head was off, he arranmged to have it ported and polished too. The block was honed (cylinders bored) and new oversized pistons and rings were fitted. At the same time the crank and rods were checked but found to be AOK although all bearings were changed. I also fitted new ARP head bolts and rod bolts. They also fitted the new BL uprated auto box and a new LSD.

I must say that the standard of workmanship shown by the team at Cwmbran was superb and I would not hessitate to reccomend them to anyone who is thinking of major engine works (including turbo upgrades).

After leaving Adam's place, I then took it to Owen Developments at Oxfordshire to have a Motec M800 EMS fitted and mapped. I had already had an E-manage fitted and whilst I know that there are many people on the BBS who would swear by its effectiveness, I felt that I needed something more "substantial" to give me the overall control and peace of mind I required. I picked the car up today and have to say that it has blown me away.

It was quick before - now it is frigteningly quick :eek: It is curently running just 1.4 bar of boost with the ability to safely run to 1.6 - whether my ability as a driver can cope with that is another thing :) Unfortunately, I do not have any dyno graphs to show but am going back in a couple of days to get them done on a power run etc.

So, all in all, very very pleased with the engine rebuild - thanks Adam :thumbs: the BL gearbox is absolutely amazing - Thanks Vortex :thumbs: and the Motec has transformed the power of the car - thanks Owen Dev :thumbs:

Glad to hear it's back on the road at last CJ, are you going to bring it to JapFest on Saturday? Quick blast round the track? :thumbs:

I am definitely going but doubt if I will go on the track. TBH, I don't think the car will pass the noise tests!

FANTASTIC :woot: :clap:

Any chance of a ride?

I bet you say that to all the boys :limp:

No problem Tony. I will be out and about all next week during the evenings and will gladly take you for a spin. Maybe we can arange a mini meet with Clarkey too?

Great to hear you've got it running nicely! You must be over the moon. Did you see Chris Webley's car at Owens?

What's the low down power delivery like now? I was disappointed by the sub-4000 RPM power of the T67 car I drove recently. (Yours is a t67, right?)

Great to hear you've got it running nicely! You must be over the moon. Did you see Chris Webley's car at Owens?

What's the low down power delivery like now? I was disappointed by the sub-4000 RPM power of the T67 car I drove recently. (Yours is a t67, right?)

Yes, mine is a T67 with a 3800 hi stall TC. Now, whether it is because I havent driven it for some time but I really feel the low down torque is much better - and i am sure Matt of Oxford can vouch for that too as he had a go tonight.

It may be something to do with the polishing and porting supplying more air coupled with the superb BL box - that realy makes a big diference!

I just realised i didnt answer the other questions. yes, I saw Chris' car there and chatted to the Motec guy (from Belguim) who has written a specific piece of software for the VVTi to work properly. They have already done it with the Honda VVTi set up but never on a Supra. He was supremely coinfident that it would work AOK.

And yes, I am as happy as a Pompey fan on the last day of the football season :)

Sounds cool Col, what do you think it'll run, put out power wise?

TBH, I am not sure B. I would hope to get into the 11's (bearing in mind I am a novice when it comes to drag racing) and after talking to Mark at Owen today, he thinks it will probably show something like 550bhp at the wheels. There again, as I have said many times before, the BHP figure means nothing as there are so many variables with different dynos etc. The proof of the pudding is in the driving - and by feck it feels fast at the moment :D

Hehe Im happy for you CJ, sucks to have had the bad luck you have had, its nice to see you're all fixed up and ready to go! :) Take it to Rotorstock :D

Nice to see a car go as good as it shows :D

Thanks bobbeh - I am definitely going to Rotorstock and will be running it that day to see what it can do. I just hope I dont feck it up and make myself look a bigger nob than I normally do :help:

I just hope I dont feck it up and make myself look a bigger nob than I normally do
That's impossible! :p

Couple more questions if you don't mind Col....

What made you go for the Motec over the AEM?

How long did it take Owens to map it?

Do you have a A/FR wideband gauge in the car? If so, is everything spot on there?

Thanks bobbeh - I am definitely going to Rotorstock and will be running it that day to see what it can do. I just hope I dont feck it up and make myself look a bigger nob than I normally do :help:

I'll have to race you :D Just to ensure you dont :D

That's impossible! :p

Bitch :twak:

What made you go for the Motec over the AEM?

Like many others, I was still not convinced that they had overcome the Autobox problems. I also felt that there was still a lack of expertise available in the UK to map the car and whilst I could have gotten people in from the USA, my worry was what if there was a problem afterwards. Would I need to fly them in again? The Motec is a tried and proven product with massive after sales service on my doorstep - that swayed it for me.

How long did it take Owens to map it?

I dont think actual mapping time was that long but they had things to do with the car that took longer. They fitted the AFR gauge and welded in the sensor etc. TBH, that was the dissapointing side to Owen - they were slow and the car was there for 2 weeks. But, that seems to be par for the course with garages - they always miss deadlines.

Do you have a A/FR wideband gauge in the car? If so, is everything spot on there?

Yes, I had it fitted whilst it was there and yes, the readings are spot on. In saying that, Owen Dev reckoned that the AEM AFR gauge was not very good but there again, he was comparing it to their own set up that cost over £1k.

nice to hear you got it sorted after all your troubles. i would think you should be in low 11`s easy.

how much was the motec and setting up?

you not shy when it comes to spending :respekt:

good luck at rotostock

Thanks Mark

The whole deal with the Motec came to £3k. That was supply, fitting and mapping.

CJ I am glad your pleased with your car :p ,the lads here have all been waiting for the results,they take great pride in their work,and spent a lot of time building the engine to exact tolerances,Dave was pleased with the cylinder head rework(my head has now been done to the same spec).the car with drag tyres and a good launch will break 11sec ,and remain as a reliable street car (in reality I think its too powerfull for a road car). The MOTEC is the way to go , thats what im going to use. I have talked with my partners and we are willing to offer the club members only discounted labour on Supras

-single conversions,bodykits,etc etc. although the new MINI is our mainstay,

Ive just sold my M3 and got a cooper S convertible,which is now running 250 bhp plus 30 shot of nitrous,it will scare a few supras!

CJ -well done on your car :respekt:

Adam