The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie Needing some advice

TimH

Hi, I am currently a Celica T Sport owner who is moving up in the world to an (hopefully) Aero TT. The ones I have been looking at have mileage of between 50 - 70 k, what do I need to look out for on manual's or auto's.... are there any very expensive parts which need replacing at around that mileage?

I was thinking of a GT4, but having had a play in a supra I have decided they are the way to go (and £300 cheaper to inure :p )

Any Advice would be greatly received ;)

Hi Tim, welcome to the site!

First thing: you can't get a manual Aerotop (at least not a right-hand drive one), unless it's a modified auto.

As for expensive parts, there's a buyer's guide somewhere here. Try searching FAQs or something like that. That should explain the things to watch out for.

For insurance, make sure they've quoted you for an imported version (unless you want to wait around a while for a UK one: all explained elsewhere)

Edit: as far as I've read, I don't know of any parts that tend to give up around the 50-70k mark. The obvious thing to look for is blown turbos. Advice given on the buyer's FAQ on how to spot this. GT4's tend to need new clutches around this mark, don't they?

Yep GT4 clutches go at 65k and the fig 8's and lower arms too (all in all a couple of k to get sorted properly).

Is it the same with Supra's as with GT4's that the engine needs to be moved to replace the clutch or is it an easier undertaking?

Insurance is no problem, Admiral quoted me £40 more for an import :ecstatic:

Will try searching now through the FAQ's..... :thanks:

:welcome: Tim

The buyers guide thread that Stevie mentioned is [thread=23259]HERE[/thread]

I would really advise taking someone along with you who knows about the Supra, you may find there is a member local to you or the car you are looking at, that could come along with you.

I would also suggest looking in the car for sale section on here as I would much rather buy a car from another member than from an unknown dealer. Also have a chat with Jurgen [user=1689]HERE[/user] and in the traders section Miami GT (Paul Evans), Whifbitz (Paul Whiffen) all of which import/sell cars.

See and drive as many cars as you can before chosing, as this will give you a good idea of what is a good car, what is an average car and what you should walk away from.

There are loads of other good threads in the FAQ section worth reading and also the search button is you friend :hug:

Yep GT4 clutches go at 65k and the fig 8's and lower arms too (all in all a couple of k to get sorted properly).

Is it the same with Supra's as with GT4's that the engine needs to be moved to replace the clutch or is it an easier undertaking?

Insurance is no problem, Admiral quoted me £40 more for an import :ecstatic:

Will try searching now through the FAQ's..... :thanks:

No just need to drop the gearbox to change the clutch.