The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Letting people test drive my Supra

Phoenix_TT

You have 3 choices....

1) If they have fully comp insurance then they may be entitled to drive your car with third party cover. That allows them to legally drive it, but leaves you a little stuck if they total the car.

2) They get temporary insurance cover through their insurer, which means if they total it it's at the cost of their no claims etc, but I'm not sure if you can force them to claim under their insurance.

3) Do what I had to do, get the person added to your insurance for the day as a named driver. It does mean if anything goes wrong you lose your no claims, but at least you know the car is covered.

Don't let them drive it at all.

If a car is driven to my satisfaction then me not driving it would not stop me buying. So long as you cover all types of driving so they can see/hear there is no problems that should be fine.

Opinions vary of course.

I'd never buy a car that I haven't driven. If I can't feel the response, the feedback from the steering and pedals, then I'd have to factor in a lot of potential repairs.

On the other hand, allowing some jackass uninsured 'test pilot' drive the car is a no-no. I guess it comes down to the way they present themselves. If the guy turns up in an Aston Martin he's less likely to be a timewaster than a 18yr old turning up in a battered old Fiesta. Sweeping statement this, as I normally drive around in a £200 Astra estate, but there ya go.

At the very least I'd like to see (and photograph perhaps) their drivers licence, plus their current insurance certificate. That will weed out a few timewasters.

Just as an add on to this, dont know if i was given the right advise but thought i would tell you -

When you have full comp insurance yes you have the right to drive a other car third party - but only in emergencies ?? this i was told is in the small print.

So the - can i just take the car to the shops, you drink tonight ill drive, times and something happens you might not be insured.

What i was advised was to make sure i was a named driver on any car i was going to drive and there would be no problems.

Like i said dont know if this is right ?

Either your insurance allows you to drive other people's cars (third party cover only) or it doesn't.

I've yet to see an 'emergency' clause, think about it how could that be enforced? My definition of an 'emergency' might be different to yours ;)

Usually the only condition attatched is that the vehicle is already insured by someone else at the time. That's to stop people buying and insuring a £50 shitter and then drive their Supra legally based on the banger's insurance clause.

i have had people turn up at the door, and all they really want to do is have test drives. PS there are a few scams going on at the mo were people try and pay using forged bankers drafts. had it tryed on me. :eek:

My tuppen'orth...

If someone wants to test drive it (which they probably should),

1. Like John said, make sure you see their insurance, and check the bit which shows they're covered to drive your car... don't just take their word for it. Remind them to bring it with them when they phone you up to arrange to look at the car - then there's no excuse. As has been said, this will only give them third-party cover, so also...

2. Make them sign a piece of paper saying that they are test-driving the car with a view to a possible purchase and will therefore pay for any damage caused to it by their negligent driving, provided of course that the car is in a roadworthy condition. (Or if you are getting too many timewasters, go with a classic "you break it, you buy it" contract).

Explain that this is only to protect yourself and you'd be happy to take them for a spin yourself as an alternative if they don't like the idea.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Thanks for all the advise ....

I've heard about the scam bankers drafts, amazing ! I suppose the only way to avoid this is to take it to a bank to verify the bankers draft before letting go of the keys ?

Cheers

Geoff

I'd only accept cash for a car. Bit tricky with high price cars I know, but there's no guarantee with anything these days!!! (except paypal maybe!)

Even with cash you can't be 100% sure, I've seen some pretty good forgeries that would definately fool the average man on the street (Even fivers!). Having some form of comeback (photos of driving licence and/or insurance) might be handy then.

But it's easier to pass on a forged banker's draft than a pile of cash, so cash is king, I agree.

I think most banks do a scheme where you can kind of guarantee the money is there or that kind of thing. I'm not sure. I'm with HSBC and they've mentioned it to me before. Give them a bell and I'm sure they'll tell you the safest way to guarantee you get your money.