The mkiv Supra Owners Club

noise in gearbox

Guest steve hall

Guest steve hall

Hi,looking for some help.I got a 6speed TT import 1993, it's got a rattle in the gearbox under strain with very low revs pulling away in 2nd/3rd from a slow rolling start.Gearbox centre at Yarmouth has it apart and can't seem to find anything wrong.It seems to have a twin plated clutch,but not a dual mass flywheel would this be correct.He said the noise sounds like it's coming from the clutch, they look like bronze metal plates in centre plate( uprated clutches prehaps?).I asked if they looked worn he said yes,but he didn't know how much meat they have to start with,since he hasn't had a 6 speed before with AM clutch,anybody knows?,don't want to replace good clutch. Thanks Steve any help will be much appreciated

Hi,looking for some help.I got a 6speed TT import 1993, it's got a rattle in the gearbox under strain with very low revs pulling away in 2nd/3rd from a slow rolling start.Gearbox centre at Yarmouth has it apart and can't seem to find anything wrong.It seems to have a twin plated clutch,but not a dual mass flywheel would this be correct.He said the noise sounds like it's coming from the clutch, they look like bronze metal plates in centre plate( uprated clutches prehaps?).I asked if they looked worn he said yes,but he didn't know how much meat they have to start with,since he hasn't had a 6 speed before with AM clutch,anybody knows?,don't want to replace good clutch. Thanks Steve any help will be much appreciated

I had a noise coming from mine, took it to a garage they stripped it and found nothing....then i read this

"my 6-speed transmission makes a rattling sound at low speeds – should i worry?

all supra 6-speeds seem to make that sound, which has been likened to shaking a bunch of ball bearings around in a coffee can. it is not a cause for alarm - all the 6-speeds make the sound. it is the flywheel damping springs rattling, not the design of the transmission dogs. if your transmission shifts smoothly and doesn't pop out of gear, don't worry about it. "

I wish i'd have read it first as they charged me £350 for looking at it :swear:

Guest steve hall

Thanks guys,Does a uprated clutch start life with the same amount of meat as standard clutches,the clutch look a bit low but they don't slip.Should i bother to change now the box is out.