The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilovers what have i got ?

psymon

Picked up my car yesterday, and I appear to have coilovers. This was not listed when I bought the car.

I have had a look and the springs have Tein on them. The coil overs have a green housing... Is this full tein coilovers ?

Still got myself a bargin there haven't I

Picked up my car yesterday, and I appear to have coilovers. This was not listed when I bought the car.

I have had a look and the springs have Tein on them. The coil overs have a green housing... Is this full tein coilovers ?

Still got myself a bargin there haven't I

Tein make a large range of different shocks, springs and coilovers see HERE You may have got a good deal, but this really depends on the age of the shocks. If they are a few years old they may well be past their best. TBH I hated my old Teins as they were far too stiffly sprung and under damped, but some of the new models are supposed to be better from what I have read.

Post some photos with wheel off so we can identify what model they are.

Any spring that is concentrically mounted over the damper is a coil over. The term is used incorrectly, probably started by the likes of Max Power, to indicate a damper with an adjustable spring platform to allow some ride height change without changing the springs themselves. These type are correctly referred to as adjustable platform coil overs. So yes, the stock MKIV, and dozens of other cars, have coil overs from the factory.

Tein now have a UK agent. they should be able to say if they are adjustable, and i would strongly suggest you get them tested, as i see a huge amount of tein stuff that is either knocking, not working, leaking or has dramatically different characteristics in bump and rebound to its sister unit, or the makers presumed intentions for them.

Can somebody tell me what the term 'Coilovers' actually means? I thought the stock suspension was the coilover type. :conf:

The other description that is use a lot that is technically wrong, is that the 'spring' is the 'shock absorber' and what gets described alot as the 'shock absorber' is in fact a 'damper'