The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Electric Ariel Help....

Lee GZ

Evening every one...

I know you all have probably had this question hundreds of times before but....

I've had my TT 8 plus months now and since that time I haven't yet been able to get the electric ariel to work??

I decided this was the weekend I was going to sort it! after spending hours hunting round the car firstly trying to locate the appropriate wires leading to the ariel which I eventually did! I then started to wire up the stereo to the ariel which normally would be a straight forward procedure .... How wrong was I!

I have fitted stereos hundreds of times before but never in a Jap car and I just don’t know what im doing wrong? Going via the permanent live the ariel will go up down with no problem but as soon as I go via my stereo it goes 3/4’s of the way up then just stops, when the stereo or ignition is turned off the ariel should receive a pulse and the come down again but it doesn’t??? Help... :swear:

Currently toying with the idea of fitting a switch so that I can manually make it go up and down but I’d rather not.

Any one got any ideas? :drown:

It’s an aftermarket Sony head unit (CDX-M8800)

The aerial is controlled by a single wire if you have your stereo wired up via an ISO block or the like. There is actually a big box of tricks that sits between the stereo and the aerial.

If its anything like the one on my old MR2, I hot-wired that ok. I found that there were two wires: one needed a positive pulse to raise the aerial and the other needed a negative pulse to lower it. The solution (after about an hour of head-scratching) was to simply connect them both together and wire them to the single wire from the stereo. That way both wires saw a positive pulse when the stereo came on and both wores saw a negavtive pulse when it was switched off.

Nothing ever blew up so I'm guessing it was all OK. :)

If you hadn't said that the aerial goes all the way up and down if you wire it direct then I'd have said you have a broken plastic toothed strip in the aerial box. I had similar problems because the bottom 6 inches had snapped off - the aerial would raise up to about 3.4 of normal height, at which point the plastic teeth would run off the drive gear in the aerial housing. Then of course it could not be "grabbed" to come back down again unless I pressed on the top of the aerial while the motor was running.

The Supra aerial will switch off both when it senses the aerial is fully up or fully down, but it will also "time out" after a while if it does not sense either.

Sorry I have taken ages to reply work is well hectic at the moment.

Cheers for the reply's I'll have another go this weekend, see what happens?? :thanks:

Thinking about it im not sure if it is going via that little brown box of tricks which sits on top of the stereo? If it’s not and I have another fiddle this weekend how do I know what wires go where? I remember there being a good few that goes into it!! :shrug:

Also planning to remesh my front bumper the weekend too. Yet another Challenge for me, just hope it doesn't rain!!