The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is there a fuel pump change how to?

Scoboblio

As above really... got a walbro fuel pump to replace my 11 year old standard one. I want to do it myself but don't really have a clue how. I've heard it's an easy job to do, has anyone written a how-to on it?

Idiot proof instructions would be cool :tongue:

I hope MattH doesnt mind me copying these down, he gave me these instructions for doing the job myself.

Simple instructions...

1. open boot

2. remove boot cover and spare wheel

3. remove 6 bolts from around the fuel tank access cover, (directly under the spare wheel)

4. remove all pipework and wiring harness. keep a cloth handy as you're about to be spayed with fuel! (3 pipes, two are only on with clips, one banjo bolt, don't lose the washers,!)

5. remove large jubilee clip from sealing ring, then remove the sealing ring (this is easiest done with a massive pair of pliers, but can be done by tapping the ring with a large flat screwdriver and a hammer anticlockwise. Make sure you don't tap the screwdriver through the plastic ring.

6. carefully lift out fuel pump cage assembly

7. remove old fuel pump, (unclips at the bottom, and has a hose and wiring connector at the top.

8. solder or crimp the new pump wiring loom making sure it's the correct length, (make sure that the connection is well insulated, and not with insulation tape as this will disintigrate in fuel)

9. re-fit new pump assembly in the same manor that the old one came off, (don't forget the little retaining clip that holds the filter bag to the base of the pump)

10. carefully re-insert pump cage assembly

11. refit sealing ring, (this is the hardest part, it's a bugger to get it on, and I'd guess this is the bit that will take you the longest. We've found that if you spray lubricant on the thread, then start it by hand, and resort to tapping with a hammer screwdriver again, (clockwise obviously), if the ring pops out of the thread slightly, tap it around a little bit more, then tap down the edge thats sticking up)

12. refit big jubilee clip

13. re-fit hoses and wiring. (When you re-fit the main fuel line banjo bolt, you need to hold the whole assembly as spanner tightning will move it all out of line. Also, remember to put the small washers either side of the banjo bolt)

14. start car and check for fuel leaks. (car may stall at first as you've now lost fuel pressure and it'll take a little time to get back there)

15. if all is well, refit access plate, spare wheel and boot gubbing.