The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few Qs

Guest frp

Just a couple of Qs as I am possibly in the market for a MkIV

1. Is there such a thing as a UK aerotop?

2. Are there both N/A and TT aerotops both UK and JDM?

3. Is there such a thing as a manual aerotop?

4. Why is JDM so much more to insure than UK :complain: ? For some reason I can insure a UK TT for £530, but a JDM N/A is £800 odd

5. Is there any official 0-60/0-100 of stock N/As and TTs?

As you can see I have a big love for the aerotop... would like a TT, but would settle for a N/A (or did they do a single turbo?) if it was a cheap aerotop. Just can't find any manuals!

Check out the FAQ's....

But a brief answer..

1. No

2. Nope UK was only in TT, both Man and Auto

3. Not in RHD that I know of

4. They claim it is something to do with parts...

5. Don't pay attention to them, who cares, it is about how you like the feel of the drive..

Gav

Thanks for the superspeedy replies.

1. So that narrows it down to JDM only

3. Conflicting answers - I can only ever find autos on autotrader (no pun intended) - Is it possible to change an auto box for a manual or would it be totally cost ineffective?

4. Any good insurers for imports for

5. What are they / where can I find them?

I'm off to the FAQs. Thanks!

If you are 23, then I would think very seriously about the whole TT-Auto-Aerotop thing, they aren't cheap... I've got 5 years NCB, and my NA Aerotop cost me around the 600 mark..

My new car is costing me just a tad under 1000...

Gav

What's your new car? And how old are you?

I think the Auto Aerotop is the way to go and get it converted to manual if I want to in the future (the auto box sounds nice from reading threads). Presumably the NA would be (slightly?) cheaper to insure, and has less things to go wrong with it... but I wouldn't wanna buy one and always be wishing I had bought a TT. Presumably TTs are quite a bit more to buy too, especially in aerotop flavour?

Oh yes, the TTs are nearly twice the price and rare as hen's teeth it would seem. So it looks like a N/A auto aerotop. Is there any meets around the Ipswich area?

The guy next door to me has one, but I dunno what it is... It spends most of it's time in the garage in his back garden. It's gold, very shiny (has sponsor stickers all over it) and has a big carbon wing on the back. Looks (and sounds really mean). He might even be a member on here I guess.

What's your new car? And how old are you?

I think the Auto Aerotop is the way to go and get it converted to manual if I want to in the future (the auto box sounds nice from reading threads). Presumably the NA would be (slightly?) cheaper to insure, and has less things to go wrong with it... but I wouldn't wanna buy one and always be wishing I had bought a TT. Presumably TTs are quite a bit more to buy too, especially in aerotop flavour?

I think converting an auto is very very pricey and some people on here say it can't be done. I don't know to be honest so can't comment on that.

Fo some reason the N/A with a lot of insurers is dearer than the JDM TT, god knows why. With Sky though it was a couple hundred cheaper for me but the same as a TT for my mate. If speed isn't a big issue for you then an N/A Aero is a damn sight cheaper (6k+) - plus you have more choice. The TT aero is relativively rare and therefore expensive, you're looking at £10k tbh.

As for performance figures check out :link

The N/A is by no means slow, you'd be surprised how quick it is for a big car! Test drive a few and see if it's enough for you.

Well I would rather have insurance under 700.

Wouldn't really want to mod much - tinted windows are a must, maybe some nice rims and possibly a body kit one day. I really like it in black, but white seems like a great colour for an aerotop (and some decals would look cool)

The problem with my current car is that I am afraid to park it anywhere cos it stands out a bit. It's a 2nd car so I don't have to use it... just when I want to... but even so... do you think a supra would fit in the same category?

Sorry Jake, I was not ignoring you... I am set on an aerotop and therefore have come to the conclusion that I cannot afford a TT, only a N/A.

Thanks for your input.

Also thanks conalex for the link. I have been through it and found lots of info on the TT, but not much on the N/A. Has anyone got definitive 0-60 / 0-100 / 1/4 mile etc times for the N/A?

The guy next door to me has one, but I dunno what it is... It spends most of it's time in the garage in his back garden. It's gold, very shiny (has sponsor stickers all over it) and has a big carbon wing on the back. Looks (and sounds really mean). He might even be a member on here I guess.

Sounds familiar, have you ever actually seen it driving ever, ever?

Yeah, seen it driving up the road.

Saw him having a conversation with a policeman by the side of the road (the only time I have seen it away from the house)

It's in Ipswich if that narrows it down?

Yeah, Glen - that's him!

It's a real nice car - always turns every head in the general area. Thing is... I hardly ever see him, so haven't had a chance to have a chat.

i had an N/A manual... wicked car, loved it... admiral are pretty good for imports. i got it for £1000 when i was 22 with 4 years N/C bonus... as for the 0-60 i think its about 6.3ish but dont hold me to that ... felt quick ... hopefully my new 1 will feel a lil bit quicker tho :) pics of it on the new thread 'nismos new toy' if u wanna see it....

nismo, your car looks wicked. I really think that ANY kit on a supra looks great. Don't think its possible to make one look bad.

Bobbeh, I had a quote for a TT import for about £850 which isn't that bad... it's the buying it which I can't really justify at £10k realistically for a aeroTT.

Found this:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_popup.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=TOYOTA&model=SUPRA&variant=aerotop%2C+aero+top%2C+targa&keywords=manual&min_pr=75&max_pr=&mileage=&agerange=&postcode=IP1+1AA&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=3&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH&start=2&distance=161&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200451174843052

Which says it's aerotop and manual. It is £10k mind!