The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Price of supras just doesn’t make sense

TrevS

Hi guys

Right I know the TT supra is a far better car in terms of performance and spec to the n/a version but how can there be such a price difference in the two?

I recently purchased my first supra. It’s a 97 facelift NA in gunmetal grey. It looks stunning and is in great condition with 49000 miles on the clock. The previous owner really looked after this car and apart from the couple of tiny scratches on the bumper its in mint condition. The thing is I paid £8300 for the car but if I was to get a similar aged supra in the same colour and miles but as a TT it seems that they go for around twice the price.

Example: There is a 98 TT supra on autotrader with 7000 more miles than mine going for £16995

Surely this car can’t be worth over twice as much as mine. Is it that I got a good deal or that this TT is over priced or is it just that NA’s are worth half as much as a TT.

Your thoughts please

Cheers

Hi guys

Right I know the TT supra is a far better car in terms of performance and spec to the n/a version but how can there be such a price difference in the two?

I recently purchased my first supra. It’s a 97 facelift NA in gunmetal grey. It looks stunning and is in great condition with 49000 miles on the clock. The previous owner really looked after this car and apart from the couple of tiny scratches on the bumper its in mint condition. The thing is I paid £8300 for the car but if I was to get a similar aged supra in the same colour and miles but as a TT it seems that they go for around twice the price.

Example: There is a 98 TT supra on autotrader with 7000 more miles than mine going for £16995

Surely this car can’t be worth over twice as much as mine. Is it that I got a good deal or that this TT is over priced or is it just that NA’s are worth half as much as a TT.

Your thoughts please

Cheers

If it is a 97 TT then it is likely to be a VVTi engine and facelift model, these will be going for premium prices at teh moment as there are not that many in the UK and at the moment due to new import regulations no more can be imported into the UK.

I would suspect that pre 96 cars (pre-facelift/non VVTi model) will be going for quite a bit less as they far more common and can still be imported into the UK.

Is still like new at that miles.

If it's the one I think it is it's been there for months and months.

Don't forget, just because someone advertises a price, don't mean they'll get it!

Guest Terry S

As Nic said the VVTi is worth Shed loads more at the moment, and the 6 speed has always been a premium above again on all TT's.

You bought what you bought mate, stop looking around and be happy with it.

What's the point of comparing it now to others that you know nothing about?

Mileage that cannot be fully supported by documentation is a bit of make-believe (in my opinion) so don't get stuck too much on that one. Service history is much more important, these cars can do 300K if serviced regularly.

Gunmetal grey is an excellent colour in my view, I'd put it on par with black.

Is that true of TTs? Aren't the turbos gonna start to fail around 150k?

It depends on many variables......How much boost they have been running? How often the oil has been changed? How long they have cooled before the engine is turned off? ...plus many more....

Some will die young, some will go on and on?

Dave :devil:

I would speculate that UK turbos might live (a bit) longer than JSpec ones, assuming identical oil changes and (ab)use.

But either of them, if they haven't been forced to run over stock boost and oil (and filter) changes have been often, and airfilter has been left stock, I don't see why they'd need changing at 150K

The turbo bearings are 'floating' on oil, and if that is fresh and synthetic, and the air hitting the impellers is free of dust, and they are not forced to overspin, they should live forever and a day.

The A/R ratio of the UK turbos is larger as well, so that helps keep stresses down (at the expense of early spool though)

The bearings are water cooled too, so if coolant changes have been kept regular, no temp peaks would have been registered to coke any of the oil at turnoff.

The prices of the Supra are an irritating thing to a newbie like myself.

I've always wanted one but knew little about them. I'm looking in the trader week in week out and slowly but surely they're dropping into my price range.

You see them for £5k and realise you can now afford one. But when you look into them more you realise that £5k one was probably a dog and an auto N/A in the wrong colour.

You then decide you want a 6spd TT in black and in one foul swoop that £5k car you could afford is now a £10k car you can't! :violin: :D

The story of every newbies life I'm sure! :D

..You see them for £5k and realise you can now afford one.

A good car with a good spec and colour that has been serviced properly is unlikely to go for £5K mate.

£5K is the amount that you'll probably need to spend in the first year or two if you want to put it right.

Parts for supras are not particularly cheap, and if neglet and penny-pinching of previous owners have allowed the car to deteriorate, big bills are looming. Same goes with all 'performance' cars of similar age of course.

If anything, Supras are better built than most.