The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Never buy a car with worn rubbers

D3xt3r

And no I dont mean the tires I mean this DAMM rear hatch rubbers. I think I will chop the whole backend of the car off before this damm screws will come out. What did these toyo mechanics think when they drop ridiculous amounts of loctite into them?

Already chopped all four heads of and now just need to buy some new screws and a proper tool for cutting threats.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY hard. What you need to do is put the screwdriver in place, then hammer it firmly a few times (loosens the loctite/screw thread a little) and then push very hard as you slowly move it.

(or get your mate to do the above as you watch like I did) :eyebrows:

after 3 top quality drill bits later i managed to get mine out. What i thought would be a 2 min job turned out to take hours.

A short term fix is to put washers on the top stoppers but this will damaged the bottom rubbers even more so eventually you'll have to do it anyway.

It seems like every screw/bolt on my car is welded on - pain in the arse !

And no I dont mean the tires I mean this DAMM rear hatch rubbers. I think I will chop the whole backend of the car off before this damm screws will come out. What did these toyo mechanics think when they drop ridiculous amounts of loctite into them?

Already chopped all four heads of and now just need to buy some new screws and a proper tool for cutting threats.

Ive not got my car yet (ship arrives in Southampton docks on the 28th) but i was just curious to what part it is you are all reffering too. :rtfm:

Am i right in thinking its the rubbers in which the boot hatch sits on? :confused:

I tried most of the methods above without luck. I'm sure it's documented on here somewhere but the surefire way to undo the is by heating the screws up first.

Rip off the rubber parts to leave the metal plate inside the rubber exposed and heat the screws up. I bought a brulee torch from a kitchen utnsils store, this provided a small but poitable flame which is hot enough to soften the loctite. Without heat it is virtually impossible to remove the screws, I couldn't believe how easily the screws came out after applying heat.

20 min job max.

hope this helps. :)

Too late for heat already chopped all the heads of. Left side is now finished but I couldnt take my new threat cutter tool to it because there was just not enough room so just used some self cutting screws.

But the rights ones are a real pain in the ass. Tried everything now from cutting a slid into them with the dremel and then taking a screwdriver to it. Till bore them out but the damm bit always flops away from them.

I found heat was the answer too.I also cut away all the rubber first(to get a good look at the screws) and used a soldering iron on the screw heads.With the correct size driver head (essential)and some pressure(worth getting some extra pressure from an assistant) they came out a treat!!

• 2 weeks later...
What you all talk about rear hatch rubbers??

I don't know what you mean?

Any pictures ??

Thx

lift up your boot, you'll have a black rubber stopper either side, the boot lid rests on top of these when shut. After time they will wear out and when you hear squeek squeek rattle rattle you'll know its time to replace them. Only about £8 from Mr T but as you can read they are a pig to get off !

If it ain't broke don't try fixing it !

• 2 years later...