The mkiv Supra Owners Club

stock bov

ADD

i have been looking at a soop over the net and it has a standard bov, keeping that in mind am i able to modify that standard one to make the woooosh noice?? or does it have one of those air flow meters in line with it?

i have a very small amount of knowledge on these types of things, so if it all sounds like crap i appoligise! :blink:

Glenn,

Can your mod be done on a UK spec car?

Venting the BOV to atmosphere is not advised on a UK car, due to air flow sensor. Doing so could result in incorrect A/F mixture.

Not a problem on J-spec cars as these use an air pressure sensor instead.

UK cars (and VVT-i J-specs) use a Mass airflow meter to control the fuelling.

While it's possible to do the mod, its inadvisable because, AIUI, you'll be dumping metered air, causing the engine to firstly run rich, and then lean.

CW did post a much more informative article about this a while ago. Its probably worth doing a search if you want to know all the ins and outs.

J-spec cars are OK with dump to atmosphere BOVs (If you like the sound ;) )

What's the point of this mod? Does it improve performance in any way or is it solely an attention seeking device?

i could never understand the appeal of a dump valve either. ive only replaced the stock one now because i had to.

replacing the stock airbox with an induction kit will also make it more noticeable (but nothing like a proper atmospheric dv) you also get alot more whistling noise from the turbos and the air being sucked in sounds like a hoover sometimes!

And don't go thinking an e-manage's anti stall feature will help you, far more trouble than its worth on a UK car.

Hmm, well it helped Alex with his VVTi but it's a bugger to get your head around admittedly :)

-Ian

I dunno why you keep saying this, I've had no problems at all, neither do any of the thousands of people who use them in the US.

Have you had the A/F mixture checked to make sure you are not getting overfueling/underfueling? Dusty at MVP recommends that a recirculation kit is fitted if fitting the SSQV to US cars still running MAF

I've had it dyno'd since having it fitted. No problems at all.

Does anyone actually KNOW of a UK spec supra with problems... or all this based around the MR2 that was originally spoke of.

I'm not disagreeing with the logic etc.. I've just not heard of any Supra in this country with issues.

The stalling phenomenon definitely exists, but anti-stall features aren't simply and "on or off" thing, if set up wrong they will cause as many stalls as they save.

I'm chatting to John offline to see if I can help :thumbs:

-Ian

The anti stall is a big compromise that takes a LOT of fine tuning, stalling an auto is a major PITA.

The MAF sensor is a weakness in the UK car as it creates problems when modding the car.

Having a UK car has many advantages but I will not defend it to the hilt if I think it has a weakness in an area being discussed.

Also worth noting is that my BOV is fully plumbed in and I still get the odd lift off stall, I have the anti-stall set up almost right now but it takes a lot of time to get it right.

The e-manage itself is a great piece of kit that I whole heartedly recomend, but I pity anyone who thinks they can just fit and forget these things.