The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Side Skirts Fitted

Alex

Well, as some know, I've been patiently waiting for my side skirts to arrive from a trader for 4 months. Just your average knock off Veilside Skirts and Spats. 4 month IMO was a bit extreme, but the 2 previous shipments both got lost in the post (nicked). Personally I wouldn't ever use the same courier again but low and behold the 3rd set was successfully delievered by the same courier.

Anyway, I finally got the skirts/spats in April and booked myself into Les Bedfords of Norwich, the only Roll Royce approved sprayers in the area. And now the honarary Supra body shop for Norfolk after the work they've done fitting Ian's Stillen. Doing Soop Dogg's full respray/stillen fit. And having Digsy's booked in soon for a tidyup :)

I took the bits down for a check over and to run through some other stuff I wanted done. The list was;

Fit Side skirts and spats

Remove Nose, fix damage, cut the bumper to allow for the FMIC pipes and mesh it.

Paint Coil Pack/Plastic Engine Cover RSP.

I went down to Les Bedford's and spoke to Andy Bedford, the current proprietor. Andy took one look at the veilside copies and wasn't impressed :( Didn't really expect him to be, he likes OEM parts (Digsy will love him (in a non gay way! lol)). I could feel the distain in his voice as he spoke about the work that would be involved in getting them to fit...and that was just from looking at them, without any attempt to fit. Oh good grief :( :cry: He pointed out how thin it was, you could see through the fibreglass! He pointed out the lack of curve the spat. He explained how the primer was "shit" and would have to come off and be redone etc...OMFG :(

Still, Andy agreed a very reasonable price and and booked me in....Digsy then took his Supra down there, confused the poor man and got my week cancelled. Well done Digsy! ;) :D. So I got booked back in for last week. Being a 4 say week I knew it might mean he would need yesterday as well and indeed he did.

So I took the car down last Tuesday and left him with mesh for the front bumper and the new kit. On the Thursday he phoned to say the spats were being a real pain and that I'd have to lose the facelift running lights on the rear as they would be half on and half off the spat and look cr@p. I :cry: but agreed, after all, the piss poor job (by the previous owners bodyshop) of fitting the Whifbitz nose had mean't I'd lost the front running lights/indicators so it would match now in a way. He also explained that the sideskirts were trying to crack as he had to force it into a shape it didn't want to be in - ie the same shape as the car! But he was still trying his best. (I would later find out he nearly phoned me and said he'd given up trying to get them to fit!)

I left him to it and he let me know on Monday that it was ready but that he still wasn't happy. Everything was on, the Whifbitz nose had been taken off, fixed and the IC pipes were no longer fouled by it. The Black mesh was secured in place and the whole lot was resprayed sans number plate :) And the Coil Pack/engine cover was now RSP to match the car.

So tbh I was just grateful to Andy for even attempting the job and expected it to look a bit rubbish...but an improvement on the previous look with no sideskirts etc. The nose and coil cover were the only bits I was sure would look ok/good. But I also remembered that Andy is a perfectionist. ;)

Here is a before picture...

near side front pre op.JPG

Im000077 modded.jpg

I'm amazed to say the least :D

Andy Bedford rocks! :) :thumbs: It's worth noting that he saved the running lights, at no extra cost to me, by moving them further down which required the bodywork to be cut more. The kit has been re fibreglassed in placed to make it fit properly/beef it up. The nose is like new. The cam cover (no pic yet) is just sweet.

The skirts fit like OEM IMO but the spats arn't perfect but they are much much better than they would have been.

Note to the trader...find a new source of body kit...this one is rubbish.

4 month IMO was a bit extreme, but the 2 pervious shipments both got lost in the post (nicked).

...so if anyone has recently been offered a copy of "Latex Donkey Fetish 3", please contact your nearest police station. You could win a community action trust award ;)

Looks very nice indeed :)

I'm shocked that so many rubbish replica kits are still about, and even more amazed that they don't even fit properly! Surely that's akin to selling a car with no wheels?

So am I...I'm not going to name the trader on here or by any other means as I hope instead the trader will do the right thing and search for a better reproduction. By naming them I'll only antagonise the situation. Mine was the first kit from thier new supplier so they were a bit of an unknown quantity.

Thanks Jake.

Cause the previous owner put them there :( Instead of fitting them back in the front bumper....they are loose too :cry: Going to try and find a better solution/custom solution in the future, but it will have to do for now...

I believe so....going by what Shovels has put in his spec...I think they are the same as his...they are getting refurbed at some point as they are really tatty. I've got some plans for the final look of the car. But it all takes money and time :( Wish I could finish her tomorrow.