The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st decat removal problems

neilg

I have just been down to try get my decat pipe put on. However i was advised not to as the bolts had locked and were going to break.

Is there a special way to do it. The bolts were heated up to the state of being red and still wouldnt come.

I was told if they snapped they would have to remove the turbo to get to drill the studs out?

Has anyone any advise for me as i wanted it swapping and thought this was going to be easy done :cry:

From what I gather it can be quite involved if those nuts don't come loose. I'd definitely ask Chris Wilson's advice, or better still pay him to do it, as he's fitted loads AFAIK (If you're not near Chris, then I imagine one of the other traders with correct facilities on here could help)

Lots of soaking in WD40 might help.

Bit of tapping with a hammer (along the stud) sometimes helps break it loose.

I'm not sure I'd try the 'heating' bit if it were not on a proper lift, with adequate clearance all around.

Even with good tools, be prepared to lose a stud or two. If so, you have to drill out the remains and retap the thread. Not the end of the world if you are already prepared with new studs in hand and a good 'tap and die' kit.

I've got lots of tools, but still took it to a garage to have it done, not keen on using power tools lying on my back. Guess what? two studs broke off clean!

I have just been down to try get my decat pipe put on. However i was advised not to as the bolts had locked and were going to break.

Is there a special way to do it. The bolts were heated up to the state of being red and still wouldnt come.

I was told if they snapped they would have to remove the turbo to get to drill the studs out?

Has anyone any advise for me as i wanted it swapping and thought this was going to be easy done :cry:

Neil,

I'm in the same boat as you, i sent a very similar thread but totally different replies:-

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=33638

I've taken it to 4 other mechanics since and they've all rubbed their chins for a while and said thats a job and half...

Decided to save a bit of cash and take it to one of the professionals who are members here to get sorted.

I know how you feel, thoroughly pissed off and a major let down - just cos of some poxy nuts ! :complain:

Yeah, don't talk to me about it. I'm still trying to find someone to fit my front decat. So far everyone has taken one look at it and said "Ooh, those studs could break"

I fcuking know that, that's why I'm trying to get someone with a ramp to do the work, rather than laying on my back struggling :cry:

I may give up in the end and buy a 2nd decat pipe instead. Being that I'm intending to leave one cat on anyway, I don't think that it'll make a lot of odds.

Yeah, don't talk to me about it. I'm still trying to find someone to fit my front decat. So far everyone has taken one look at it and said "Ooh, those studs could break"

I fcuking know that, that's why I'm trying to get someone with a ramp to do the work, rather than laying on my back struggling :cry:

I may give up in the end and buy a 2nd decat pipe instead. Being that I'm intending to leave one cat on anyway, I don't think that it'll make a lot of odds.

Yours shouldn't be too bad, the garage didn't have a problem doing mine. seeing as our cars a slightly newer, the nuts maybe less of a problem.

Removing the front cat from my '98 VVTi was not an easy job. One or two snapped studs, one stud that came out with the nut. It took a couple hours iirc. It's all good now though. If you're only removing one cat I would much prefer to remove the front one - from an EGT point of view.

I got mine done at the local Kwik-fit. They're used to replacing manifold studs and have all the right equipment for the job.

Guess I was lucky then. I took my car to my uncles garage, showed them what I wanted and left them to it. Came back several hours later and it was all done. The bloke who done it use to work for toyota so as soon as he looked at it, he knew it was going to be a nasty job but he done it and it never cost me a penny :respekt:

If you're only removing one cat I would much prefer to remove the front one - from an EGT point of view. .

Totally agree Jake, its just the matter of getting someone to do the job. Once they start umming and aarhing, I tend to lose confidence in them (not that anyone has been prepared to take the job on anyway) and would rather they didn't do the job in case they fcuked it right up :(

I got mine done at the local Kwik-fit. They're used to replacing manifold studs and have all the right equipment for the job.

My local Kwik-fit refused outright to even attempt the job, the other exhaust bay down the road at least put it on the ramp before they lost their bottle :stickpoke

Worse thing was the studs didn't look rusty at all :cry:

Yeah, officially. They all love a cash job though. :sly:

I gave the guy £40 for doing my decat. He was well chuffed. It went straight in his pocket of course. I don't have a problem with that, everone's happy.

anyone know of a mechanic in the Essex area that knows what they're doing re decatting and replacing dodgy bolts/nuts ?

These guys sound like they know what they're doing but i bet they charge shite loads:-

http://www.tdi-plc.com/toyota_supraMk4.html

Also i bought a decat but been told it'll only fit UK spec, anyone know what the difference is ?

No special way to do it, not very easy access though. Long extensions and universal joints on the socket wrench.

They weren't very tight on my 97 car, after reading up on the subject on here a lot of the early cars had the studs shearing off. As long as your prepared for this happening.

Like others have said take it to Chris Wilson , he's done this loads of times and has the replacement studs in stock. At least you'll get it done right! ;)