The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flash! washing gizmo

JohnA

They claim that their shampoo contains a 'polymer' or something that works in conjunction with the de-ionised water.

Don't know if it's bollox to boost sales of their own shampoo though. Someone here could try using another shampoo and tell us if it makes any difference...

Loads of people on here like it, can't imagine Flash making something that would be bad for the paintwork!

http://www.tyresmoke.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/1,2,12,15,22,25,26,27,7/Number/381008/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

This bloke bought this ionic rince thing :

He said :

"Haven't tried the Flash product, but recently acquired a filter thingy from Ionic Systems.

I was a bit sceptical beforehand as it's effectiveness, but it was absolutely superb. The paintwork looked stunning with a deep bright lustre and there was not a single water stain to be seen.

I'm even looking forward to washing her again. "

http://www.ionicsystems.com/cars/home/index.htm

I think if you're gonna trust FLASH to dry your car, you'll get a rude awakening with all the dried up water marks left over on your paint. Im sure it'll help get rid of some water which is cool.. but its not the miracle it makes out to be.

They advertised the same system in the US on TV while I was there but under a different name. I laughed at it then too.

I think if you're gonna trust FLASH to dry your car, you'll get a rude awakening with all the dried up water marks left over on your paint. Im sure it'll help get rid of some water which is cool.. but its not the miracle it makes out to be.

They advertised the same system in the US on TV while I was there but under a different name. I laughed at it then too.

Are you speaking from experience though, I'm not sure as I've never used it. ;)

you know, the one on the telly, with the special shampoo, online filter etc.

It looks like it works, the water droplets run away like they do with Rainex, so it's doing something.

Oh, come on John... Surely you of all people isn't going to fall for ridiculous claims of these TV adds. You get what you pay for.

Oh, come on John... Surely you of all people isn't going to fall for ridiculous claims of these TV adds. You get what you pay for.

Well it is 20 quid AND you have to keep buying refills! You pay quite a bloody lot!

Bought it, used it and it did what it said on the tin.

On the black it left an "almost" spot free finish after 60 mins but the only time I use it now is before a polish as there are no hidden spots of water to mix in with the polish :complain:

Taking into account the 20 quid for the initial purchase then the price of the refil kits (ionisation pack and shampoo) it works out a hell of an expensive way to wash your car.

Bucket, sponge and elbow grease still come out tops :D

Oh, come on John... Surely you of all people isn't going to fall for ridiculous claims of these TV adds.

It says it doesn't leave spots, and it doesn't. I'm the kind of guy who washes the car every few months, IF that (all my cars were left to discolour and rust to death, I'm not a 'bodywork' kinda person)

As for the cost, I paid £10 quid less at CostCo and it came with an extra pack of large shampoo bottle and 10-use filters, so it wasn't that bad money-wise.

Mechanically-oriented guys here could use the 'filtered' water facility for diluting coolant/windscreen fluid/water injection.

I am lucky enough to have setup 4 water buts at my house, collecting the rainwater and filering it through active carbon filters (also use it to rinse my hair after showering, makes a big difference!). But not everyone can do that, so a water de-ioniser 'on demand' can be a very useful thing ;)

You get what you pay for.

Sometimes.

Other times you pay and get garbage and false promises (Slick50, most bolt-on 'performance' garbage etc...)

*makes mental note not to buy JohnA's car if he sells it* :D

Think about it: if I decide to sell it in a few years, what would it fetch, even in pristine condition? £3-4K?

So the loss from dodgy bodywork won't be dramatic really, depreciation is at it's maximum then.

I use my 'toy' cars as a base for experimentation really, so it is mechanical soundness that interests me. Good looks are something that I've always tried to avoid actually, don't want attention from vandals, chavs, cops, jerks, thieves and other vermin.

....and if I don't want to sell it, I could always leave it with Dude and have it resprayed in metallic BLACK, the only real colour for a supra in my opinion...

Bought one on Saturday.

Only wanted it for the drying rince facility, I washed it with normal car shampoo then used the Flash thing.

I've got a red car and water marks easily show.

It worked. Rinced it off and let it dry naturally, no water marks at all!

I always use Britta filter water jugs to wash the car. Takes a while but it's worth it.

Me too, Britta filter jug in the garage, but not for tap water, rain water

The Britta filter won't deionise the water, that's different. It keeps most contaminants at bay, but a lot of the scale stays in the water -- I only use them to filter out impurities picked up from the roof or the water butts.

IMO the 'flash' thing is a convenient way to make your own de-ionised water in your garage, straight from tap water.

Sorry gotta say that the bucket and chamois (SP) is the one for me. Yes this system lets you be lazy, but using a chamois helps you to spot any of those areas that you missed, or a new door dent or a large piece of road tar that would otherwise be stuck onto the paint for months.

JohnA, if you only wash your car once every few months, and even then you must use the quickest thing available, then wow! You must be the first person ever on here to want a dirty, knackered looking standard soop! LOL! :D:D

...JohnA, if you only wash your car once every few months, and even then you must use the quickest thing available, then wow! You must be the first person ever on here to want a dirty, knackered looking standard soop! LOL! :D:D

I'll try to wash it once a month mate, bad habits die hard, lol...

I really hate attracting attention, and the supra is not exactly stealthy, is it?

I've got off the clocks a few times here and there, I just like flooring it every now and then, and I've never had a point (successfully upheld!) on my licence, it's a virgin. So my approach has worked up to now *touch wood*