The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Fuel Pump Whines is this normal

Green Peace

Hi my original performance Fuel Pump from TDI used to make a whining noise together with occasional pulse noises...then JPS changed it (two years ago) and his one (of non discript make also) does exactly the same noise.

But I have been told on a couple of occasions that it shouldn't be making this noise by two different people.

However I have also been told this is normal too so I'm confused.

Also if it is wrong how comes both the TDI one and the JPS one made the same noise...(unless I was charged for a new Fuel pump but it wasn't fitted which wouldn't surprise me!!!!!!)

Si

Confused Of Middlesex

:rtfm:

My new Walbro whines a bit, whereas the OEM one was relatively silent.

I've heard they all make a bit of noise.

Most other cars I've had, the fuel pump could always be heard. Personally I wouldn't worry about it ;)

Thanks Geoff..

Is there any way of telling by listening to it if it needs replacing?...its kind of always made the noises it makes, I have been advised to change it but prob more for safteys sake...given its history but I need to convince myself it needs replacing...because it seems to be working fine the car is taking off most of the time ok...occasionally it forgets its a Supra he he...but most of the time everything seems to be getting through.

Si :)

fuel pumps usually make a ticking noise....from my experience anyway.....not had too much exp with the walbro jobbies though :)

Blimey, you're showing your age :D

The old SU electric fuel pumps did used to make a ticking noise, until they stopped working, when usually a clout with the (handy) wheelbrace got them started again ;)

The correct repair was to dismantle them and clean or replace the points. Not something to try at the side of the road. I had an XJ6 at one time, and unless I strictly used the 2 tanks (seperate pumps) in rotation, the fuel pumps would invariably stop working from lack of use, until they were "persuaded" to start again :D

fuel pumps usually make a ticking noise....from my experience anyway.....not had too much exp with the walbro jobbies though :)

Thats what mine does too..and sometimes it sounds like its banging the side of the car...

When I had the first one fitted..(the mysterious TDi branded one) I asked Toyota Jemca what the noise was and they said.."your ECU needs replacing"

:tongue:

Ive had the same Fuel pump now for two years (if JPS did put a new one in) though I cant be sure..Its had no maintainance...would it be an idea to change it for a Walbro..I have no idea which one JPS put in, wasn't given a discription of make or model just 'New Performance Fuel Pump on the Invoice I think'

Surfice to say whichever pump has been used it has certainly not let me down so far..(touch wood) so guess someone did a good job!

The TDI one was a Walbro (GS342).

Don't know what Leon would have fitted.

Thanks Alex

Ah ...Well the one that apparently got taken off by Leon That TDi fitted had no i.d or anything...and yeah not sure what one was fitted by JPS...well whatever make it is it seems to have worked ok..sometimes I loose a bit of boost...but its very rare these days since the split hose was repaired by Slow Dogg.

So no need to change the Fuel pump I guess if its doing its job ok...and the noises are healthy ones I guess. What I would like to know is if you can tell if theres something up with it by listening to it?

:p

Edit: the word 'to' to 'the' as it didn't make sence he he

Some whining is very normal, i'd be more worried if it suddenly stopped making this noise as that would mean it's no longer working.

I also have a TDI pump and when I installed it (About 1 1/2 years ago) I carried out the 12v mod. I've read some posts recently which advise against the 12v mod and so re wired the pump ecu. This has provided 2 very noticible benefits;

1. Not a big deal, but the whine is quieter as it is running at a lower voltage, when it swithes to 12v you can't hear it anyway as the engine is making more noise.

2. This one is much more critical as it has greatly improved the drivability of the car at low speed, especially when you are in low gears and on/off the throttle the acceleration/deceleration is far less jerky. As mentioned on another post on here somewhere , this is because the fuel system isn't under as much pressure when off boost.

I would definitely reccommend that anyone with a 6 sp removes the 12v mod if they are using it. Although in some cases auto owners can benefit from this mod as it supposedly removes a flat spot, but I don't really know much about the in and out of this.

As for the ticking sound, if it's the sound I'm thinking of then it's just the pump ecu, this would only be heard on start-up though.

$hit, sorry for the long post, been meaning to post up for a couple of weeks about removing the 12v mod. :D

Green peace, I dont know if its any help for you, but I have a jap spec fuel pump in my shed that Ive replaced a couple of days ago, It definately works, and its near silent when running, you cant hear it in the car when the engine is running...

If you PM me you address, I'll send it to you for a beer at JAE or something :thumbs:

I have a walbro pump with a very little bit of dynamating in the boot. I can hear the fuel pump at idle, but it definitely gets louder during/after a hard run at WOT. Nothing too loud, but you can certainly hear it over the RSR when at sub 1.2k rpm.

Green peace, I dont know if its any help for you, but I have a jap spec fuel pump in my shed that Ive replaced a couple of days ago, It definately works, and its near silent when running, you cant hear it in the car when the engine is running...

If you PM me you address, I'll send it to you for a beer at JAE or something :thumbs:

Awww thanks mate..I'm going to stick with the one I got...and will buy you a pint for the kind gesture anyhow..

Thanks Dude for the info on Leons Fuel Pump...guess I dont need a new one seems its making the right noises..would love to know what the tell tale signs of a failing Fuel pump are...not tempting fete or anything, theres no 'pinking' from the engine or nowt.

Si

:cool:

Blimey, you're showing your age :D

The old SU electric fuel pumps did used to make a ticking noise, until they stopped working, when usually a clout with the (handy) wheelbrace got them started again ;)

The correct repair was to dismantle them and clean or replace the points. Not something to try at the side of the road. I had an XJ6 at one time, and unless I strictly used the 2 tanks (seperate pumps) in rotation, the fuel pumps would invariably stop working from lack of use, until they were "persuaded" to start again :D

haha yeah I guess I am........used to have a facet red top racing fuel pump on my old 205 Gti fuelling twin 45 carbs......that used to stick had to give that a clout a few times to get that going like you said :)

miss that old car sometimes.....so much fun could really chuck it around and used to go like a rocket for such a light car with so much power.....got it dyno'ed at 190bhp for a car weighing about as much as a packet of crisps....certainly upset a few people point to point he he :innocent: