The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Advice Please Guys

kosmic

Just as i was leaving work and queing up to pull out onto the main road, a tatty black bmw 3 series without looking, reversed into me and whacked the front of my car!! Absolutely livid, i jumped outand had a look at the front of my car....a very minor scuff but a scuff nonetheless and when i looked at the driver (foreign chap) it was evident he was shitting his pants probably because he didnt have any insurance or license. I asked him for his details anyway and at that point he started quivering, like really shaking and went into how he was a poor student and didnt have any money etc etc....but i took down most of his details, as at that point it was clear that he didnt have any insurance. I also went round to the front of his car....out of date tax disc. At that point a complete w*nker in a 3 series bm conv pulls up alongside and tells THE GUY WHO HIT ME to keep quiet and drive off....like wtf?? :swear:

I ignored that complete tw*t as i was more concerned about getting this other chaps details. Question is, what do i do now?

I thought about asking him to cough up for a respray for the bumper, cash and leave it at that OR if he doesnt, report him to the police. Im not entirely sure what to do as yes it is a minor scuff which in all honesty could be polished out but whats bugging me is that we all pay so much frigging money to get our cars legal i.e. roadtax, MOTs, insurance etc and then you get tw*ts like that who think they can just jump in a car and drive regardless....

comments and suggestions please guys n girls as im getting more and more angry thinking about the whole scenario.... :swear:

Guest Arctic Chill

Report it to the Police, even if nothing gets done at least it keeps you right. (Stops him making counter claims with his newfound mate as witness).

Tell them your concerns, ie no tax etc, sorry to be bearer of bad news but generally no tax means no insurance.

Report it to the Police, even if nothing gets done at least it keeps you right. (Stops him making counter claims with his newfound mate as witness).

Tell them your concerns, ie no tax etc, sorry to be bearer of bad news but generally no tax means no insurance.

yep just as i thought, im gonna report it anyway...ill try the scare tactic first...if not then im not entirely shure what to do as i dont want to go through the insurance for a relatively minor bit of damage. :(

Guest Arctic Chill

If it's fairly minor, like you say, just get the work done yourself out of your own pocket.

Obviously I don't know what cover you have, but you're looking at paying your excess and then you have to disclaim that you've been involved in an accident, doesn't matter if it wasn't your fault.

I'd have stood infront of his car and then called the cops. The next person he hits might get more than a scuff.

thats what keeps going through my mind...it could have been far worse, what if a child was crossing the road behind his car, perish the thought...

...im popping down to the cop shop later to report it then.

Report it to the Police, you don't have to go through with it. You're legally bound to report any accident when something is damaged. Also try calling him ( fake number?) and asking him to settle not through insurance and see what happens.

just tried calling him now, no answer, ive left a message on his voicemail explaining that im giving him the option to settle without going to the police/insurance but you guys n girls are right, im going to report it anyway.

Report it. Tossers like that will one day mow down a kid and kill them.Then what? Help us catch him NOW by reporting. You MUST do this ASAP or within 24 hours at ANY Police Station.

As its a minor scuff still report it to your insurance company. Police will make enqs into driver of vehicle. You could also be entitled to a payout from the Motor Insurers Bureau if he is uninsured, but i'm afraid tha process takes years.

Guest Arctic Chill

Depends on who you're with. Most companies ask it you've had an accident, even if it's not your fault.

Guest Arctic Chill

You have to say if you've had an accident, in any car, no matter who was at fault in the last few years.

I'm not telling you not to tell them, but, if you tell them then they know and your premium might go up, if you don't then............well, it's up to you.

Guest Arctic Chill

Nothing you can do now, mate. At least no one was hurt, only thing to do now is............get even!

You should tell your insurance company. I did and apparently it didn't affect my premium and this year it hasn't with Sky either they just keep a note of it on file. However with hindsight I wish I'd never reported it to the Police OR insurance but was a totally diff situation to yours. Oh, and no, it will only affect your NCB if you claim!