The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gutted!

evanshaw

Hi everyone, thought I'd say a polite hello to you all as I've recently become a proper member, at last! Thought I'd better as I've been bugging you for ages now about bits and pieces!

Paid a visit to Mr T. in Derby today for a service :violin: Highway robbery springs to mind! I knew how much it was before I went though, but just wanted them to check it over for peace of mind, if you know what I mean? Well they are "supposed" to know their cars!!!!!

Anyway, it's the Visual Safety Report/Estimate sheet they gave me afterwards that's really kicked me in the gool!£$ ! Hoping someone can offer some advice, if you've got the time that is? It's a big list, so here goes: -

a) I need a Coolant Change (Est. £90.00)

(Apparently they topped this up, but were unable to set it right in the

expansion bottle?)

b) They noticed play in both rear upper arm bushes. (No Est. is this serious?)

c) Brakes sound completely shot -

i) Front discs are lipped and pads are badly worn.

(Est. £303.71)

ii) Rear discs are worn and corroded and pads again badly worn.

(Est £289.63)

d) They also recommend a brake fluid change as its v. dirty (Est. £52.00)

e) O/S/F Strutt is leaking (Est. £306.38)

f) O/S/F Roll Bar Link Boot Split (Est. £82.35 - Inc. 2 x Nuts) - Wot's this?

There ya go, and wipe those grins off yer faces ;)

I guess I wouldn't have minded much, but I've only had the car about 18 months and I knew there were a few things wrong with it when I got it, i.e. the suspension was completely shot, so I had the strutts replaced all round with Koni adjustables!

I take it O/S/F is the drivers side, so does anyone know if I can get a single Koni adjustable strutt just to replace that?

As for everything else, I recently bought a 2nd hand pair of UK front Calipers, just need the rear Calipers discs and pads I guess, anyone or any trader care to give me a price?

I've heard on here that Chris Wilson is the dogs b0ll0ck$ when it comes to Supras, does he do work like the above or only engine stuff?

Hope someone can help! Thank you all in advance!

When I took my car in for a service they complained about the discs being corroded, or ligged.. they were fine, not perfect, but not due for replacing by a long shot.

Be sure to change your pads, you can get them supplied from Toyota or a trader on here for around 70£ if I remember right.

Coolant change? Thats probably 20£ for the stuff and 70£ labour charge.

Its always worth getting a second opinion, but dont discount everything they highlight.

take it to Chris Wilson and let someone who knows what there talking about have a look :D

Definately, he'll be cheaper and know's what he's doing from what I've read.

I wouldn't trust Toyota with it.

Thanks guys! I've just emailed Chris, hope he doesn't mind!!!

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a single Koni Strut, or do you have to buy them in pairs/fours ?