The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbos RIP ... :cry:

Clarkey

Well, it's looking likely its the start of the end of my stock toyota turbo's. May they find eternal rest when I sell on Ebay or use the as a door stop.

:violin:

When the engine is hot - I get puffs of blue smoke on startup. And when it's left to idle - a quick blip of the throttle results in some other puffs of fuel-smelly blue smoke. There is no adverse smoke from a cold startup - other than the usual white condensation misty stuff.

Normal driving is fine and it can still generate boost, though I'm now driving it on negative boost. Imagine how long it takes to change from 3rd,4th,5th while keeping the boost below 0 Bar positive boost ?? Fecking Ages!! :complain:

So it would appear my turbo seals are on they're way out. Which would probably lead to the impellers ??

Still, shouldn't complain - the car is 10yrs old. Been running 18psi for a year now. It was inevitable.

After speaking many of the techie guys here ... Terry S, Paul K, Dude (thx to all btw for your patience explaing techie stuff to a numpty like me) - I now have a choice.

Hybrids or Single ? After having a long think about exactly what I want to do with the car - basically I want a fast road car and the opportunity to future upgrade. That and the ability to annihalate a BMW M3 2005 model with complete ease! :D

It's the single. Clarkey is going for BL T61 Budget kit. In honestly, I'm probably going to the last owner of the car so I'm not worried about sellerability and insurance .. well I'am nearly 30 and got 7yrs no claims ... so it shouldn't be too painful ... though if any of you T61 single guys could give an idea I'd be grateful.

The initial amount of cash to convert is quite high, been speaking to Matt H & Terry S - I shall be running the T61 on stock injectors & stock IC (providing it's in good nick) - but will be restricting boost to 0.7 Bar ~OR~ unless something else can be figured out.

Until such time I can get some 650cc hi-impedence, E-Manage and a FMIC in to run 1.6 Bar!! :thanks:

Abit of a kick in the cnut .. but shit happens!

At first I thought it was either Piston Rings or Valve Seals - hence the chats with the techie guru's. In one respect am seeing this as a good opportunity to upgrade.

We (Supra owners) have and will always want - more power. I suspect Dude will be ripping out his 2JZGTE and fitting a Rolls Royce Boeing 747 Jet-Engine next! lol :D

Investigated the Nitrous route - but wasn't keen on the refills .. it's £44 for 11Ibs bottle in Witney, Oxfordshire.

I'd be interested in hearing the kind of Insurance deal I can expect tho .... any ideas single boys ?

Ouch! Sorry to hear it mate :(

Clarkey is going for BL T61 Budget kit.
Yeah, that's what I'd do in the same situation. I would upgrade to 650cc injectors (and supporting e-Manage/whatever) as soon as funds allowed though.

Good luck !

Well, it's looking likely its the start of the end of my stock toyota turbo's.

you seem quite sold on the going 'single' idea (and why not!) but have you considered putting a cat back in or a stock exhaust back on to increase the back pressure/stop the oil leaking past the seals and therefore prolonging the turbo's lives. Just thinking this could mean getting the injectors etc done with the single down the line.

Also have you recently put in thinner/low viscosity oil?

Just pointing out the car could well be made 'ok' for general use for many months for few/no £'s, if you need time to save/plan......

That was the first thing a few of the guys said ... I changed to fully synthetic oil in yesterday and it's still smokes. But in all honesty - I was planning on going single anyway. This has just made my decision for me.

Doing it all in 1 hit (Injectors/E-Manage/T61/FMIC/Fitting/Mapping) .. is the best option. But it would take me awhile to save £4000 ! lol :) I doubt my turbos would last that long!

However, the T61 and fitting is affordable - the other supporting mods will have to wait.

I'm going to put cat #2 back in & put the baffle back in to increase the backpressure. To at least stop it smoking and to avoid getting pulled by the police.

Good luck with the single install Christian, keep us posted how things go.

Terry, I've read a few members rave about the response/power of your car and was interesting reading your figures from the magazine day. Would you mind me asking what turbo and supporting mods you have on your new car? If/when I go for turbo upgrade, I'm not really interested in big hp numbers, just ultimate usable street power/response.

cheers

Guest Terry S

Nic, a BL hybrid turbo, BL tubular kit, BL exhaust, Vortex fuel system inc 650's, stock VVTi cams, properly mapped ECU. The car has just been put together properly. The actual spec list of the car is enormous, but they aren't necessarily anything to do with straight line grunt.

Soz to hear about this...I would be gutted if it was me as I have absolutely no intention of going single or hybrid..but good luck with the conversion.

Si

Cheers mate! Seems abit of the lottery about stock tubbies. Oxy's died and he was running stock boost 11psi. Mine are on they're way out with running on 18psi for about awhile now. The car is 10yrs old with 65500 odd miles on it - so I think that shows excellent Toyota engineering.

Nic, a BL hybrid turbo, BL tubular kit, BL exhaust, Vortex fuel system inc 650's, stock VVTi cams, properly mapped ECU. The car has just been put together properly. The actual spec list of the car is enormous, but they aren't necessarily anything to do with straight line grunt.

Does BL do the T61 with DBB option and/or titanium shaft? Is this the smallest single you'd go for on the Supra? I'm guessing the 4" BL downpipe/exhaust has a good effect on response?