The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Flexible Friends?

Guest rufus

Guest rufus

Anyone had any bad experiences with Aerotops? I've read on another site about problems with body flexing, dashboards creeking and general "stay away" advice.

Just thought I'd ask before parting with my hard earned pennies......

Guest rufus
:hug: me and my mum!!!

WOW :respekt: Have you ever done it professionally? I reckon you could flog your services successfuly (so to speak!)

WOW :respekt: Have you ever done it professionally? I reckon you could flog your services successfuly (so to speak!)

No chance, it was a horrid job, I had red sore hands and so did my mum (and brother who spent ages making the clips up), definitely a one off :D

I test drove a 93 aero top when I was looking at cars and the flex was very noticable - it felt like it was jointed in the middle. Just my 2 pence worth...

That's because it is jointed in the middle. By removing the roof you are taking away probably about 50% of the across-corners stiffness in the car's structure.

I have an Aerotop and live in a rural area with very bumpy roads, so I know how differently the car behaves with and without the roof in. I don't have any direct experience with braces but TBH I can't see how they can help, as all they do is add side to side stiffness and tie the suspension towers together. The do nothing to stop the chassis twisting along its length.

The large, high mounted brace set just behind the passenger seats posted earlier on in this thread would probably work as it would add an appreciable amount of stiffness to the rear section, thereby reducing the length that the car could twist over (therefore reducing the amount of overall twist). IMHO the worst braces are the floor mounted ones with the big hoop going over the trans tunnel. I doubt they add any stiffness at all.

i never really noticed anything major in mine.

Is it not a case of most aerotops that the designers add extra stiffness else where to compensate for some loss or the roof ?

They do have added strangthing or else they'd probably snap in half over a period of time! But it's not as good as a good ole' roof!

In fairness, I have driven a few Aeros and they aren't as bad as I'm making out, I'm just trying to wind Dude up :D

There is a difference with and without roof, they just tend to shudder a bit on bumpy corners and potholes when the roofs off. - But they do look the part :)