The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying a supra

Guest stoneyboy

Guest stoneyboy

Hi folks,

My first post here. I currently have a sapphire cosworth 4x4.

Always liked the supra's and looking into selling the cossie and buying one now that they are down in price. Have decided i would like a uk car, manual, twin turbo and low mileage as possible. I have the following questions.

1. I will hopefully have around 9k to spend. Am i likely to get a good car for this money ???

2. The cossie can be unreliable but parts are relatively cheap. I suspect the supra may be the other way round. More reliable but exspensive to fix if it does break. Is this the case?? How is reliability ??

3. Im up in aberdeen. Anyone know of good tuner/ mechanic who can work on these cars locally or in scotland ??

Basically any advice welcome :thumbs:

You won't get a decent UK car for £9k mate, a low mile UK car could easily fetch £15k I would have thought - consider getting a Jap import TT - that's what I'm doing (through Jurgen on here) and my budget is that same as yours. :)

Guest stoneyboy

Really not keen on buying an import to be honest. Might consider it or just save for longer. There was one sold locally a few months back for 8k with 55k miles on it. Totally standard. Doesnt seem to be a big market for them up here

Don't dismiss imports, there are as many pros as cons, andnone of them (pros or cons) are big. Check out autotrader (regularly) mate, there aren't many UK Supras about and the 'cheap' ones (import or UK) are usually cheap for a reason, so if it's a UK car you've got your mind set on, keep saving I guess :)

Guest HollyNix

My ex used to go to a place in Wishaw for work on his car - don't know the name of it, not sure that he told me. Miles away from where you are, hope the others will be a better help.

H xx

"2. The cossie can be unreliable but parts are relatively cheap. I suspect the supra may be the other way round. More reliable but exspensive to fix if it does break. Is this the case?? How is reliability ??"

I would say this part is very true. Make sure you have a little reserve before you buy. I had to shell out for a few things and it was quite painful, even with some spare cash. But hey, the attention makes up for it :D

Guest HollyNix

The closest I'll get to owning, would be doing a Joey and covering a pile of cardboard boxes with a sheet lol. Anyone know where I can buy some Toyota merchandise?

H xx

Guest stoneyboy

If i do get one it will remain standard.

Im 24 with 4 years no claims. £600 currently on cossie

How much you reckon id be for a uk car and import??

If i do get one it will remain standard.

Im 24 with 4 years no claims. £600 currently on cossie

How much you reckon id be for a uk car and import??

hiya mate, UK Manuals do go for a fair few quid more. Mine was standard white when i got it in august, 5 owners, 63000miles and totally spotless. Haggled down to just over 13k for it, can get a lot of j-spec for that cash!

If you don't mind me asking, what's your main reason for wanting a UK? insurance? i got my UK for that main reason plus i liked the leather and a few of the extra toys. The J-spec is just as good a car, suspensions meant to be a bit firmer and spools quicker and power is about the same! if you're 24, try the club insurer (Sky Insurance, links at the top)

To give you an idea, my mate who is 22 with about 5 years NCB got a quote on a Jspec that was only 100 quid more than a UK

There was uk spec tt manual on autotrader this week... perfect spec ... '96 with 25k on the clock, full vailside body kit, 19inch alloys, other minor engine mods (boost controller etc) and the guy sold it for £10 which is STUPIDLY cheap, i missed out by a few hours... wud have snapped that up! im still lookin ... if sum1 knows of 1 for sale???

i was only 21 when i got insurance on a 93 non turbo and only cost me £1200 but i spend hours/days gettin quotes, must have rang evert company possible! got a quote with admiral on tt now im 22 and its only 1400ish... all i need now is the supra!

There was uk spec tt manual on autotrader this week... perfect spec ... '96 with 25k on the clock, full vailside body kit, 19inch alloys, other minor engine mods (boost controller etc) and the guy sold it for £10 which is STUPIDLY cheap

a tenner is stupidly cheap you're right mate! :D

PS welcome by the way! :D

Cheers...... Yeah ... i actually cried when the guy said its sold! if u look on autotrader is still on. thats what im lookin for really... £10k for a decent 95 sounds rite too me. I think alot of trader have over priced them ie the '93 for £15k 'ave a word' lol Got an agent on the case in Japan sayin he will find me the 'perfect' supra ... we shall see.

There was uk spec tt manual on autotrader this week... perfect spec ... '96 with 25k on the clock, full vailside body kit, 19inch alloys, other minor engine mods (boost controller etc) and the guy sold it for £10 which is STUPIDLY cheap, i missed out by a few hours... wud have snapped that up! im still lookin ... if sum1 knows of 1 for sale???

I saw this too and started a thread about it

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=37755

Did he sell it for £10 or 10K:stickpoke Either way, I hope the new owner knows what he's got. It is registered on Vcar. Everyone I asked said stay well clear. Shame because it looked lovely but better safe than sorry.

why not enlighten me supragal. Only going buy the buying guides i have read. Im no expert myself

Sorry, that was more aimed at the other on here as that was about to turn into a Jap v UK argument!! Honestly, don't worry about it being a UK/JAP car based on performance theres really nothing in it.