The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing Intercooler?

Guest TT Supraman

Guest TT Supraman

I have a standard smic and need to fit it to my uk soop. I know you have to take off the front bumper but I need to know how to fit one on properly.

Please can anyone give me instructions on how to fit a standard smic into a soop? Cheers.

I'll be doing the same thing pretty soon on my Supra... but with an upgrade smic from Redtech.

Apparently its pretty straight forward. Take off the front bumper AND the headlights and then the smic is very easy to access. Just undo the bolts and pipes and fit the new unit. (This is only what I've been told so far - it may be as easy as that or it may be a pain in the ar$e).

Apparently its pretty straight forward. Take off the front bumper AND the headlights and then the smic is very easy to access. Just undo the bolts and pipes and fit the new unit. (This is only what I've been told so far - it may be as easy as that or it may be a pain in the ar$e).
That pretty much covers it. The only thing I did wrong was to not fasten the outlet house on the intercooler securely enough. It didn't come off, but it leaked boost above .6 bar until I tightened it.

i've just done it on mine, it is pretty easy but some of the bolts are a bit of a pig to get to, make sure you use plenty of WD40 on the nuts i managed to shear a few of then off and had to take a trip to my Toyota Garage to get some new ones.

It is a Bumper and Headlights off job and you will have to jack the car up and take off the drivers side wheel and the lower section of the arch liner to get to the rear mounting point and the exit pipe of the I/C. hope this helps :)

Guest TT Supraman

Thanks for the useful replys, is it possible for anyone to give me a step by step guide on this job? Cheers.

Headlight out, Right-hand front wheel & liner off, Take rear intercooler shroud off, undo hose clips, undo intercooler bolts, intercooler should drop out underneath ........ no bumper off.

took me 2 1/2 hours to take off & replace on my 10 year old U.K car:thumbs:

John

Headlight out, Right-hand front wheel & liner off, Take rear intercooler shroud off, undo hose clips, undo intercooler bolts, intercooler should drop out underneath ........ no bumper off.

took me 2 1/2 hours to take off & replace on my 10 year old U.K car:thumbs:

John

Aaaah but you dont have an active spoiler any more do you?

ok im actually quite confused now, how did you drop it out of the bottom? there is a tray right underneath the I/C :conf:

when i did it the other day i couldn't see any way of getting to some of the bolts without taking the bumper off but that could be because i was being stupid :looney: