The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Almost Famous

Todd

Just back from a weekend visiting the Folks in Oban on the west coast of Scotland and without a doubt suffered the most embarrassing time of my life.

Started off when I took my mum down the town at lunch time on the Saturday, first warning was when people started shouting and pointing and taking photos of the car, very nice I thought, can't see many Supras here!

Got parked up and came back after 30mins to find about 5 men crowded round the car, one on his mobile going "you've got to see this Dave", I then spent the next 20minutes answering questions about the car.

Later that night went down to get an Indian takeaway and this is where it got really bad. Parked up and just about to switch off the car when about 5 teenagers started running to the car screaming and shouting "WOW.....MY CAR CAR.....WOW", bugger this I thought and took off, did a lap of the town and went back and there were even more bloody kids, this time chasing me down the main street of the town, got to a set of red lights and they were all over the car...............embarrassed don't even come close.

Anyhow, made me realise how great the car is but also, how the hell do famous folk put up with that day in day out, great at first but it must drive them mad.

Think I'll take the MX5 next time :looney:

lol, fantastic. I've been to oban but didnt take the car, will next time :p I've had loads of photos taken before....this one time (at band camp) a guy infront of me took out his mobile phone camera, faced it backwards and took a pic of me while driving, lol nutter.

Hehe good stuff :)

I've been out with the car this week.. had a couple of young (9-10 years old) lads pop round wanting to hear the car start, look in the engine and want to wash my car! We had a chat about GT4 and car stuff in general, it was cool to see they took such an interest in the car, even identifying it had air con because of parts in the enginebay! They were well impressed with the headlight washers :read:

Then I had more comments from a few teenage girls about the cars up the driveway as I was out washing/scrubbing again :)

I know this feeling as I have my car currently up for sale many people just come over here and ask me if they could take some pictures of the car. Two dudes drove over 50kms just to see the car and hear it ;) I took them for a little spin then...

I once had a whole car full of people start taking movies of the car on the motorway with their camera phones. They overtook me, pulled in to the inside lane, slowed down so that I went past then they went back in the fast lane so they could overtake me and get the full 360 video! v.strange people!

On another note, saw a gorgeous TVR Sagaris yesterday.... now THAT'S a car to drool over!

I fell your pain man. Here in Germany where I live, there aren't exactly a myriad of supe's running around. Every week when I go wash the car at the Cosy wash (I call it the Costy Wash but anyway it's illegal to wash your car in the driveway here!), I get a minimum of two-three people that come over and want to know what it is and where it comes from... "Fast and the Furious! Underground Racing!.." Get out the handy-phone and take videos. It's fun trying to translate in my limited German.. uh, not really.. Sprechen ze English? No, oh ok. I guess we're f&*ked then. Last week two Turkish kids stood there for 45 mins while I gave the car some love just so one of em could go for a ride with me. I think he about shat himself when I got on the roadway and hammered down to 180! Good times. drooling-envy abound.

good to hear that young kids are taking a genuine interest in a LEGEND that is the SUPRA :)

As long as they dont piss on it...or scratch it silly - I dont see a problem :)

I had a similar experience in knigtsbridge on saturday where a bunch of kids whipped out their mobile phones and started taking pics while I was stopped at the lights :)

Great Thread...

I get really embarresed especially when people take the pics of the car when I'm sat in it, I appreciate the attention, and you do feel a bit like public property on occasions..though its all positive stuff...

If you have ever been in a situation of being recognised as a telly actor, a DJ or in a band thats far worse as the comments are nearly always negative..in order to provoke a reaction and are more personal.

Had a bloke stop me yesturday who said 'Wooooow' what a car...to which I was really modest with my replies he then went on to say he had a 900bhp Skyline and his Dad had a Bentley Continental GT..then he said his exhaust was twice as big as mine.... :read:

He was a young lad in overals driving a recovery truck !!!

:werd:

Sat night....had two others in the car with me ;) - on a 40mph zone I see a car in my rear view mirror coming up fast, he pulls up by my side and honks the horn twice for a race...

What car was it?

BENTLEY CONTINENTAL....... :)

I'm sorry, not stupid enough to even attempt a race on a 30mph zone....

good to see that the car is rated by the posh gits... ;)

Because of the environment :) It wouldnt be good with most cleaners if they go into the ground water so its prohibited on grounds without a special drain.

Even with environmentally friendly suds it's discouraged. Not that I'd use any of that g@y sh*t anyway, but I just miss washing/detailing my cars in the driveway. It's a b*tch to have to drive 10 km to wash/dry the car then come back and finish the process, nevermind avoiding dirty roads, rainshowers and bugs on the way home.

Life has it's tradeoffs. Crappy weather and silly laws (although you have to love that speed limit on the autoban) for good beer, high speeds, decent cars, travel opportunities gallore,... did I mention the Ring?