The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Service Interval

Paul Booth

Are they not the same as for the UK spec, at 9000 mile intervals? I'm guessing you have seen something which suggests otherwise, or you wouldn't be asking?

I'm working to 9000 mile intervals unless I hear otherwise, so this thread could turn out to be interesting. None of the Toyota dealers I have spoken to say anything about a different service interval, but I have seen stuff on other sites (and I too have lost the link) that says the US interval is shorter (about 7500 miles..?)

This, I think, is more down to differences in environment and duty cycle than differences in the engine itself.

In the absence of any other information I would still feel safe in sticking to the 9000 miles interval, as per UK spec for "normal" driving.

Im pretty sure the service interval is 6000 miles on early j-specs, rising to 9,000 miles for later ones (facelift models).

I tend to change the oil every 3000 miles as its quite cheap when compared to the cost of replacing the turbos and whatnot when the oil stops doing its job.

JB

Quote: from branners on 1:09 pm on Oct. 10, 2001[br]Im pretty sure the service interval is 6000 miles on early j-specs, rising to 9,000 miles for later ones (facelift models).

I tend to change the oil every 3000 miles as its quite cheap when compared to the cost of replacing the turbos and whatnot when the oil stops doing its job.

JB

I think what you're confusing Darren is that the J-spec are every 9,000 *km* (5,625 miles or 6,000 ish) with an oul change every 4,500 km (2,812 miles or 3,000 ish).

Jeez, when you see it written down, my Pan has a longer service interval.

What I'd like is the definition of each service and that's what I know someone on here listed, i.e., what work is done in each case, not how often.

I would go with main service at 9000 miles and oil change at 4500 as per the UK spec. That was deemed to be acceptable to Toyota in the UK and that's without the use of synthetic oil.

I reckon this would be okay for a relatively unmodded J-spec car using synthetic oil......IMO

Just spoke to my local Toyota dealer and they confirmed: (a) they are happy to do a J-spec service this Friday and (b) it's a 6,000 mile service interval.

My next one is a small service (doesn't even swap the spark plugs although I've asked them to).

Why do I want them doing the service, when I'm so fussy about who goes near my engine, and not Powerstation who do all my other 'messy' work?

Simple: (a) I have a full service history from Japan and I intend to keep the book stamped up on the service interval and have the *real* work done at the 3,000 mile interval at Powerstation and (b) my chum body-shop-man is a manager in the group of companies who own the Toyota dealership (remember the £20 & £15 quid manual saga). Words are being had to ensure my baby gets the premium treatment.

Overkill, yes! Anal retentive, certainly! Happy? Delirious! :biggrin:

Well at least that squares with what both my local Toyota dealers told me: 6000miles up to 1994my, 9000miles afterwards.

Incidentally, Gooch Motors (Lustaaaarrrrrrrft) were *very* kind and priced up a full range or services from 27000 to 72000 miles using J-spec parts. The results were all within about £20 of the UK service prices, assuming labour to be comparible, also.

Quote: from Darren Blake on 2:01 pm on Oct. 10, 2001[br]Well at least that squares with what both my local Toyota dealers told me: 6000miles up to 1994my, 9000miles afterwards.

Incidentally, Gooch Motors (Lustaaaarrrrrrrft) were *very* kind and priced up a full range or services from 27000 to 72000 miles using J-spec parts. The results were all within about £20 of the UK service prices, assuming labour to be comparible, also.

Wasn't it you Darren that put up a list of services and prices? Don you still have it?

I did put up a list of prices based on a UK spec car. I have since found out (through getting my cambelt changed by Abbey Toyota through JIC) that us Naaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrfolk dwellers are heavily compensated for mud on the roads, inadequate nightlife, and no street lighting by having very low service charges for our cars compared to some of you city folk.

The prices based on using J-spec parts is new-information, however. I'll try to remmeber to post the comparison tonight.

Mine is in tomorrow for the 60,000m/100,000km "C" service, just to throw a spanner in the works, monkey in the wrench etc.

Toyota have quoted £300 for the service and £200 for the cambelt.

Curiously, I only booked it on Tuesday and the guy said there was no problem getting parts in time. We shall see....

Here they are:

Mileage           UK Spec          J-Spec (assuming same labour hours / rate)

27000 (b)       £241.42          £241.08

36000 (a)       £208.59          £219.79

45000 (a)       £121.95          £142.24

54000 (b)       £344.83          £365.87

63000 (a)       £179.71          £142.24

72000 (a)       £208.59          £219.79

Bit of an a*se, this. I just realised that I got these prices from two different local Toyota dealers. The UK spec prices come from Richard Nash in Norwich, and the J-spec prices which were worked out especially come from Gooch Motors in Lowestoft. There also seems to be some disagreement betwen the two over the (a) service at 63000miles.

Still, it's a fairly good indication that (labour rates aside) the parts side of the servicing makes little real difference between UK and J-spec.

Quote: from Rob on 11:07 pm on Oct. 10, 2001[br]Mine is in tomorrow for the 60,000m/100,000km "C" service, just to throw a spanner in the works, monkey in the wrench etc.

Toyota have quoted £300 for the service and £200 for the cambelt.

Toyota usually tell me that the schedule is AABAAB, but since there is an obvious difference between the two As, I don't know why they don't just call it ABCABC (like my old MR2 was).

It took me several phone calls to cotton onto the fact that actually almost all the prices for the individual services are different, and you really have to state the mileage. Your quote sounds like it may be for the 54000mile (B) service. Its a tad high for the next service at 63000miles, but then again I don't know what your labour rates are like.

I paid about £200 for my cambelt replacement by Abbey Toyota in Surrey. They only cost £160 over here...

2 things,

Firstly, just had 78000 service (A) done and with VAT, SYN Oil etc came to £143.

Secondly, Toyota did indeed change the service interval from 6K to 9K around 1994. The service book I have is for the newer models and is every 9K, I just have it serviced as per schedule every 6K instead.

The pattern on the new schedule ABA whereas Toyota use to run to a ABC schedule.

Toyota usually tell me that the schedule is AABAAB, but since there is an obvious difference between the two As, I don't know why they don't just call it ABCABC (like my old MR2 was).

It took me several phone calls to cotton onto the fact that actually almost all the prices for the individual services are different, and you really have to state the mileage. Your quote sounds like it may be for the 54000mile (B) service. Its a tad high for the next service at 63000miles, but then again I don't know what your labour rates are like.

I paid about £200 for my cambelt replacement by Abbey Toyota in Surrey. They only cost £160 over here...

My dealers in Sarf Lahndahn, it costs £50 just to drive past. My trouble is that the car is '94 so Toyota do the ABC ABC schedule but the service book is the AAB one, so every service involves these kinds of discussion.

And another thing...I'm bunging them approx.£500 and they won't even wash the car. Audi always wash and hoover, on every service.

OK peeps i'm confused (doesn't take much i know...)

I have a June 1995 built (*manufactured* in Jan 1995) UK-spec.

So it's 9,000mile service interval.

from what i've read about it's all AABAAB.    Is there no C service (i.e the *big* one) ?       any ideas ?   do i look at the service book and will say in there?

and while we're about it, i want to maintain the FTSH, so can anyone recommend a top-notch Toyota dealer in the Greater London area (or home counties is fine...) ?    I used Pinewood in Streatham last time and they lost a wheel nut (never told me...) and didn't even tighten the fuc*ing oil sump plug - it nearly fell out.

any 'good dealer' help appreciated

Quote: from Doughie on 9:08 pm on Oct. 11, 2001[br]OK peeps i'm confused (doesn't take much i know...)

I have a June 1995 built (*manufactured* in Jan 1995) UK-spec.

I used Pinewood in Streatham last time and they lost a wheel nut (never told me...) and didn't even tighten the fuc*ing oil sump plug - it nearly fell out.

That is so basic. Who serviced the car ? A monkey!

OH BTW Darren, how did Abbey Toyota fair with the cambelt pulley.

Mine's in at McCarthy Sidcup and today they were unable to remove the pulley, I told them about the technique of using a breaker bar against the ground and turning the engine over. They will try it tomorrow, but they want to heat up the bolt thus wrecking the rubber damper.

Then they want £180 from me for a new one

Quote: from Paul Booth on 1:39 pm on Oct. 10, 2001[br]

Just spoke to my local Toyota dealer and they confirmed: (a) they are happy to do a J-spec service this Friday and (b) it's a 6,000 mile service interval.

My next one is a small service (doesn't even swap the spark plugs although I've asked them to).

Why do I want them doing the service, when I'm so fussy about who goes near my engine, and not Powerstation who do all my other 'messy' work?

Simple: (a) I have a full service history from Japan and I intend to keep the book stamped up on the service interval and have the *real* work done at the 3,000 mile interval at Powerstation and (b) my chum body-shop-man is a manager in the group of companies who own the Toyota dealership (remember the £20 & £15 quid manual saga). Words are being had to ensure my baby gets the premium treatment.

Overkill, yes! Anal retentive, certainly! Happy? Delirious! :biggrin:

Service complete. Although not required by the service, I asked for a spark plug change too (I know where I'm starting from then).

Charged me £202 inc VAT