The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why do the Japs love autos?

Conrad

I just don't get it!

I appreciate they may have a lot of traffic congestion and don't want the hassle of changing gear, but so do we and we don't like em that much. Plus if they like em so much why are they only so common in big supercars and not Civics and Micras?

The 300ZX's are the same as Supes as they're mainly auto too. I can uderstand the Grand Tourer route but GTO's are GT's yet manuals are more common. Why would the speed crazy Japs opt for something like an auto in big fast cars! Do you think an auto box de-values cars to jap buyers like it does us?

I'm not having a pop at the auto box but I bet the majority of auto owners would swap for a 6spd!

I think when the cars were new, they were generally bought by older people as they were a good chunk of cash. And they are more interested in fast cruising.

they still are......the AUTOS that is :D

I bet the majority of auto owners would swap for a 6spd!

This one wouldn't, I thought I would've before I actually got one though I must admit having driven other auto's... but the supra ain't got just any auto :respekt:

Maybe the japs and yanks have realised that wiggling a stick around doesn't actually mean your as good as a 'racing car driver' with so much skill its a crime your not working in motorsport lol ;)

I have to agree, the auto box on the supra is superb...Just like playing on a playstation on the easy setting. Point it in the right direction, and step on the pedal.

The supra auto will also (Proven) give you the best it has to offer, whereas most drivers will c0ck it up and not get the changes right anyway.

Biggest bonus of course is being able to drive and not worry about gear changes whilst on the phone and drinking at the same time :tongue:

Guest Arctic Chill

Hi, I'm looking at a Supra (moving from FTO), heard that the Auto box is better than the 6 spd manual.

Does it kick down quickly and on the other side let you use the revs. I've got a tip box at the moment and almost always drive it in manual mode as I prefer the control.

I'm not having a pop at the auto box but I bet the majority of auto owners would swap for a 6spd!

Not me, I NEED both hands on the wheel :D

I can use the O/D button for a 3gear box or in MANU mode so, best of both worlds.

Hi, I'm looking at a Supra (moving from FTO), heard that the Auto box is better than the 6 spd manual.

Does it kick down quickly and on the other side let you use the revs. I've got a tip box at the moment and almost always drive it in manual mode as I prefer the control.

If you drive gently its very forgiving and plods along nice, but if your in the mood for play, you nail the pedal to the floor and it WILL give you the most in each gear, and change perfectly too... 6 Speed sounds cool but Auto rocks...

Not me mate. I deliberately waited for the right auto to come along as i was never interested in the manual.

Oh, and now I have the uprated Boostlogic box, it is even better :woot:

he he, If you've ever made the journey from Yokohama Bay bridge through to Tokyo Rainbow bridge then onto the center of the city, you will see why the auto box is popular in Japan :tongue:

Think yourselves lucky our UK roads are not as 'tolled' too(!)

Personally, I think the supra 4spd auto is a fantastic box. Ive driven manual cars for years and before I bought my supra, I dreaded the thought of an auto box as it might take the fun out of the driving, but I was completely wrong and certainly dont miss a manual tranny. Besides, If I crave an manual, I just borrow the other halfs shopping car. :rolleyes:

J

Copied from another site....

Autos are quicker.

Autos are more consistent.

Autos can be built to be bulletproof.

Autos don't allow missed shifts.

Autos are better in traffic.

Autos are easily rebuildable.

Autos can utilize a transbrake.

6-speeds are better on a road course.

6-speeds are better for people thinking they have superior driving skills.

Do the math. ;)

Not me mate. I deliberately waited for the right auto to come along as i was never interested in the manual.

Oh, and now I have the uprated Boostlogic box, it is even better :woot:

Maybe CJ, I don't doubt some people prefer the Auto. Matter of personal preference and all that.

But I bet a lot of the Auto drivers wanted a 6spd initially but due to cost and availability ended up having an auto. I know that's why I'm looking at autos, I would normally never consider one tbh.

Copied from another site....

Autos are quicker.

Autos are more consistent.

Autos can be built to be bulletproof.

Autos don't allow missed shifts.

Autos are better in traffic.

Autos are easily rebuildable.

Autos can utilize a transbrake.

Do the math. ;)

:violin:

Its not about driving fast.....its about being INVOLVED in the driving.....AND IMPROVING ones driving skills.

6-sp Man ALL THE WAY

Different strokes for different folks.....

I get plenty of involvement when I want it. I do not however feel like getting involved in stop-go,city driving and general traffic that we now seem to get more and more of with a manual transmission.

Different strokes for different folks.....

Well, thats all you had to say rather than

cause the former is true, the latter most definetely is NOT.... :tongue:

BTW: I drive in London EVERYDAY.....no complaints at all..

I think when the cars were new, they were generally bought by older people as they were a good chunk of cash. And they are more interested in fast cruising.

Not me neither :) You HAVE to testdrive the Supra TT auto to be able to understand..that its the best of both worlds :D

The Japs dont love autos, its simly because the yanks do. Thats the biggest market in the world so what sells there goes.
Are you saying Japs buy auto cars not because they prefer them but because Americans drive them? :conf: That doesn't make sense to me. Am I misunderstanding your point? :confused:

For 6 years I was driving 120 miles per day on the M25, J2 to J13 return. A manual is just a pain in the ar*e in stop start traffic. We wanted & bought an auto TT & it's a fantastic drive, we would never swap it for a manual. We have 2 other autos but the Supra box is far superior to the Volvo or the MG. The other car is only a manual because they don't do it with an auto box!