The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Guest Arctic Chill

Guest Arctic Chill

Hello all.

I've currently got an FTO, great car, but after something just as good looking but rear wheel drive, and a manual. The Supra fits that perfectly.

The N/A supra would be an improvement over my tip box, and I can get one fairly cheap. Is it really worth quite a bit more money for the T/T.

I already know what quite a few will say, but I'm just justifying it to myself.

Personally I've never driven an N/A, but I've heard that they're very responsive and fun :) On anything but a long straight I imagine they'd keep up with a TT very well. The lack of a turbo kick also makes them a bit more predictable.

Oh, and there must be a lot less that can go wrong... if the idea of a 2k repair bill would cripple you then a high milage TT probably isn't a good idea.

On the other hand the TT is obviously quicker, and the insurance is about the same for a TT import as it is for an NA import (if not less). The only way to tell would be to drive both of them and then make a decision. If you're after uber-power and tunability then it has to be the TT. Even in standard form it's enough to embarrass much more exotic machinary :D

Oh, and welcome :thumbs:

Guest Arctic Chill

Insurance isn't too bad for a twin turbo, it's the initial outlay.

I've spent a bit on the FTO, re-trim etc, and a N/A would let me do the same.

A T/T would stay stock for a while.

The N/A is still going to be as quick if not a little better than the FTO so it's not exactly a backward step.

Hello!

I've got an NA (auto) and my husband has a TT (manual). They are both great cars and your decision is going to be very much based on your style of driving. As Scoboblio says, the NA is more predictable, however thats not to say they are predictable all the time. If chucking a car around the A and B roads is your thing the NA is probably a better choice. If you want to go really, really fast then get a TT.

So many people buy the NA and are then disappointed that they didn't get a TT - don't make that mistake.

Welcome to the club mate,

I too am in a similar position to yourself. I had an FTO tiptronic car before last (GR model - bloody noisey tappets). I'm looking to buy a Supe in the next month or so and also want a TT but because of price having to consider the N/A.

I've test drove a manual N/A and it was quick, quicker than the FTO. Looks better too! ;) So if that's all you can afford then you wont be disappointed.

Buying the TT is both expensive and scary, mainly becuase the cost to put things right should they go wrong is HUGE. If you only have £7 - 9K then you'll be looking at an Auto TT, getting a decent 6spd manual for that kind of money is gonna be hard.

Guest Arctic Chill

Thanks for the advice, I'm hopefully going to test drive a N/A and T/T in the next week or two (work getting in the way) and I'll see if it's worth the extra (running costs as well).

Are they really that reliable, the N/A I mean, my FTO just hasn't gone wrong and looking at buyers guides it just seems to be the turbos to watch out for, everything else is just what I would look for in any other car.

ThAre they really that reliable, the N/A I mean, my FTO just hasn't gone wrong and looking at buyers guides it just seems to be the turbos to watch out for, everything else is just what I would look for in any other car.

Toyotas on the whole are bullit proof, including the Supes. If the car has been looked after it will last forever.

Both the N/A and TT are reliable it's just the the TT has far more stuff to go wrong. Plus because they're turbos they're more likely to have been modded, especially if it's Japanese! The Japs do all sorts to em. I've been asking the same questions as you cus I want a TT but I'm worried I'll get burnt so I'm looking to the safer N/A.

Just educate yourself the best you can on both cars and be patient when buying one. Like you say it's like with all cars really, just use common sense when buying one.