The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The HORRIBLE sound of an auto box!

Conrad

He he, I bet that got the attention of the auto owners. :woot:

Quick question really, I'm looking to buy a TT in the next couple of months and like every other newbie would prefer a 6spd but can't afford one.

Now I don't mind driving an auto which seems to be the issue for everybody else. It's the sound they make when they change gear which I don't like! You know what I mean, the sound of the engine jumping like a scrathed record! I hated it in an FTO I once had.

Well what I'd like to know is: does a dump valve disguise that distinct auto gear change?

I used to have an auto FTO and it didnt make any noises when it was changing gear...... Also got a Auto Sup, it is really a great auto box, really smooth.

When i floor the car and take it all the way to the red line i get a Psssstt from my Sard BOV when the car changes up a gear......

It's the sound they make when they change gear which I don't like! You know what I mean, the sound of the engine jumping like a scrathed record!
Auto Supras don't do that. The gear change is fast and smooth. And the harder you accelerate the better it gets. Try one

And you don't lose boost between gear changes in an auto.

You'll only hear your aftermarket BOV when you lift off. PSSSSTT!!!

So you don't get a pssst when the auto box changes gear? Thats what I was hoping for!

So I take it nobody else dislikes the sound of an auto box? My FTO didn't make a noise changing gear but you know what i mean, that monotonous drone you get from any auto box

I'd try and do an impression but kind of hard with text, :D

i no the sound ur talking about ! when we went to see a fto for my dad i hated the sound of the auto box on the fto,, never thought id buy one then i tried the supra box,,

try it out !!! :D

I will mate, I'll more than likely be buying one tbh. I quite like driving auto's so never really had a problem with that, always love the kick down! It was just the sound of them, I test drove a 300ZX before and that was the same.

I've only driven two Supes and bothe were manual N/A's. Everybody keeps saying the Supra box is different but I just thought they were being biased! ;) I suppose there's only one way to know for sure, to test drive one - I'll be doing that today I reckon!

Stu:Yeah, I get a Psssstt from my BOV when the auto box changes gear but only at WOT

Sorry Stu but newbie question time, what's WOT?