The mkiv Supra Owners Club

99RON Fuel at Tesco's ?

Nick

Guest Terry S

There is MON & RON.

MON = Motor Octane Number

RON = Research " "

The MON is a lower number than the RON. We have ours displayed in RON whilst the Americans is MON. All very confusing

Guest Terry S

There is more in fuel than just the MON or RON. It wont be significantly better than Optimax, if at all. There are additives that are put into turbo specific fuels which prevent detonation. These may or may not be present in these fuels. Octane rating is normally a good guide line but try it and see, and just dont go crazy.

same here..... but my tanks near enough running on reserves........ hmm... think it will take a few tanks to "flush" out the optimax before a good comparison can be made.... yes/no???

Nah, though it might take a while for your ECU to relearn unless you reset it......

One of the guys on http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk posted this:

"Just called my local tesco in scotland .they called back to say..... Tesco are selling 99octane fuel in the south east of england on a trial basis to gauge customers reactions, they are loosing the lrp pumps which they will replace with 99 octane if reactions are good!!!!

so get buying it !"

I didn't know that Shell will be replacing Optimax with V-POWER 99 octane! :)

...The MON is a lower number than the RON. We have ours displayed in RON whilst the Americans is MON. All very confusing

Actually the americans display (RON+MON)/2, not MON.

Also their fuels are more oxygenated.

I've learned this the hard way, as I was using their maps for the Blackbird, and it started pinging like mad. ooops. :read:

For turbocharged cars it's MON that's more relevant.

Actually the americans display (RON+MON)/2, not MON.

Also their fuels are more oxygenated.

I've learned this the hard way, as I was using their maps for the Blackbird, and it started pinging like mad. ooops. :read:

For turbocharged cars it's MON that's more relevant.

Also known as AKI (anti knock index)

Also known as AKI (anti knock index)

yes :cool:

I have more on the subject in the 'fuelling' pages of my website if anyone feels thirsty for more

I've even managed to extract MON values from both shell and bp regarding their 'pride&joy' fuels.

(It's easier to extract teeth from live crocodiles)

John - Good info there, but I think this may be an interesting quote to some members on here who have been round for a few years...

Secondly adding certain OBs in Optimax might end up in 'rusty' sort of deposits all over the engine. Here is an extract from a post by Dr Iain Wiltshire (aka Mycroft). He usually knows what he's talking about.