The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RHD, Aerotop and manual TT?

Guest supra_gtr

Guest supra_gtr

Seems like it is impossible to find a rhd manual Supra TT with aerotop in UK, haven't found any in Japan either, but I haven't looked so much there yet.

Are they very few or why are the so hard to find?

Would love to find one this summer now that I have sold my RX7 FD.

Seems like it is impossible to find a rhd manual Supra TT with aerotop in UK, haven't found any in Japan either, but I haven't looked so much there yet.

Are they very few or why are the so hard to find?

Would love to find one this summer now that I have sold my RX7 FD.

RHD Aerotops were not made with Manual gearboxes. Some conversions have been done though.

Guest supra_gtr
RHD Aerotops were not made with Manual gearboxes. Some conversions have been done though.

That explains why I haven't found any :cry:

And it is too complicated to buy an auto and convert it....damn

Then I will have to save more money and buy an lhd instead. So no Supra this summer, makes me wonder why I could be so dumb and sell the RX7 before I looked into this...

Thanks for the reply!

Guest supra_gtr
Nothing wrong with auto's !!!

At least you got two hands on the wheel !!

Have already driven one and auto is nothing for me.

I love driving my car on trackdays and auto is terrible on such events.

Guest supra_gtr
You could convert the gearbox, a fair number have been done now.

Try test driving the auto before you rule it out tho :)

Do you have any idea on the cost?

Guest supra_gtr
i have to disagree with you there, i drive my auto on track fairly regularly and find it to be a very capable box

I haven't driven any Supra auto on the track but a 5-6 other sportscars with auto on trackdays and I find manual gearbox is the way to go.

Auto don't do the job good enough compared to a manual, but that's just my personal oppinion.

I have auto on my dailydriver, that's enough for me, on my enthusiast car I want manual gearbox!

Have already driven one and auto is nothing for me.

I love driving my car on trackdays and auto is terrible on such events.

I know where you are coming from with wanting manual over auto but surely if you're after a track car you'd want a hardtop anyway? The autos are all flexy and stuff.

I haven't driven any Supra auto on the track but a 5-6 other sportscars with auto on trackdays and I find manual gearbox is the way to go.

Auto don't do the job good enough compared to a manual, but that's just my personal oppinion.

I have auto on my dailydriver, that's enough for me, on my enthusiast car I want manual gearbox!

I understand exactly where you are coming from...however i drive an auto and its not like any other auto I have driven, there is a tiptronic box available on younger models...but yeah I agree its a shame they never made a manual on the aerotop and in fact shame they never continued with the manufacture of the aerotop.

I reckon you should test drive an Auto aerotop and take a fixed roof manual and see which you prefer.

I thought the same as you when I bought an Auto..but after a couple of hundred miles of driving it, once i got used to not using a clutch and worked out how to kick down on demand...I actually prefer it in most ways.

But if ya buying it to do Trackdays a lot then Manual will have the edge obviously...1/4 mile sprints are ok, drifting is a bit of a challenge in an auto.

But drive one anyhow as you will be surprised how lively the box is!

Guest supra_gtr
I understand exactly where you are coming from...however i drive an auto and its not like any other auto I have driven, there is a tiptronic box available on younger models...but yeah I agree its a shame they never made a manual on the aerotop and in fact shame they never continued with the manufacture of the aerotop.

I reckon you should test drive an Auto aerotop and take a fixed roof manual and see which you prefer.

I thought the same as you when I bought an Auto..but after a couple of hundred miles of driving it, once i got used to not using a clutch and worked out how to kick down on demand...I actually prefer it in most ways.

But if ya buying it to do Trackdays a lot then Manual will have the edge obviously...1/4 mile sprints are ok, drifting is a bit of a challenge in an auto.

But drive one anyhow as you will be surprised how lively the box is!

I agree that the auto is better than most other auto's, anyway that I have driven. Wonderful for cruising and a traficlight racing :)

I have hopefully found a manual now in Japan, hardtop of course.

If it's not sold yet I'm going for it, hade som nice things for the track also :)

I sat in a black rhd 6spd TT aerotop a few years ago, it was my dream combination, and when I started looking for a Supe, that's what I looked for, then I found out that the car I sat in had been converted, and no such model was officially made. I feel a project brewing...

there is one reason why I would like a Manual...

I'd like to be moving slowly and be able to dump the clutch, hit the gas, and release the clutch. Wheelspin on demand, that's something I wish the auto could do.

(I won't even contemplate dumping the autobox into Drive with my foot down)

I lived in Japan for four years. I saw one RHD TT 6spd aero. Rare isn't even the word. Of course then again, everybody's driving sil-80's over there for drifting or skylines just because they're so readily available. Ain't gonna' lie, my first car there was an R32 GTR. I love my supe, but really wish it was a 6spd. The auto is convienent, but I prefer the capabilities/options of the manual box.

Guest supra_gtr
Excuse my ignorance mate, but do you actually get a Summer in Sweden? :innocent:

Of course, I live about as south as you can in Sweden so I drove my RX7 from the end of march to october :)

Do think we have polar bears here or something? :tongue: