The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new rollbars on a 96 car ---- why?

JohnA

Had the car lifted up to get the shocks swapped, and realised that the rollbars have been recently changed (with original Toyota items).

No evidence of a shunt or similar, so I'm wondering why would anyone have them changed (96car)?

Do they perish easily (or their bushes perhaps), or am I missing something?

Cheers,

John

I see two options. One, the previous owner had aftermarket ones on, didn't like then, had to buy new OEM ones as the originals had disappeared, or two, the previous owner wasn't too clued up and when he took it to a backstreet garage they went "oooh, guv, your er er er hmmm er oh that'll do - anti roll bar is shafted, we can fit you a new one for £1000 (it's that much cos it's an import and it's an expensive car and the labour is 10 hours honest)".

-Ian

I see two options. One, the previous owner had aftermarket ones on, didn't like then, had to buy new OEM ones as the originals had disappeared,

could be the case, although looking at the service history it doesn't look likely (no "street cred" to be had from such a mod )

..or two, the previous owner wasn't too clued up and when he took it to a backstreet garage they went "oooh, guv, your er er er hmmm er oh that'll do - anti roll bar is shafted, we can fit you a new one for £1000

Phhhhh it's gonna costya mate

(it's that much cos it's an import and it's an expensive car and the labour is 10 hours honest)".

So my UK car is actually an import? :swear:

oh, let's not get started again with UK vs Jap :sly:

Maybe we should make a 'sticky' with the long list of upgrades needed to move up to UK spec. :cry:

Not sure about the turbochargers themselves though, for a valid comparison one would need to swap turbos/exhausts on the same car (same transmission, same everything) and do RR tests on each one (after the ECU has settled in each case, of course)

Well that's the first thought I had of course, but there's no other evidence of a crash whatsoever.

Looks like the rollbars were just replaced. Rear rollbar? WTF!?

Weird, if the bushes don't tend to perish. Even so, judging by the condition of all fluids, replacing tired bushes would be low on the owner's list of priorities...

The car does feel very tight and robust I admit. :cool: