The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA CW Decat results

Pete

My cat was starting to make some dodgy noises and the car generally lost power so I took it to see Dr Wilson.

He confirmed my suspicions that the 1st cat was buggered (split) so I opted for a decat pipe. Chris makes these pipes with his own fair hands and they look fantastic, far more than just a piece of pipe! (pic attached)

Whilst we were at it the second cat flange was slightly damaged so they both got dumped.

As a result of decatting the car seems slightly more responsive and has a little more poke. It definitely sounds "raceier" too without being too intrusive.

A heartily recommended solution to dying cats.

Many thanks to Chris Wilson who has made a professional job as ever.

Pete

HPIM0650 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0651 (Medium).JPG

• 2 months later...

It was definately a year. Either 92 or 93, can't remember which, in which case it just has to meet the emissions (which are allowed to be higher).

There's another year where it's a simple visible test for black smoke.

Guest chiefvinso

Im sure its pre 92 cars that dont require a cat, just checking with VOSA. Did you know they can do a roadside emission test and server a prohibition notice if you fail and if it fails badly they wont let you continue your journey.

Im sure its pre 92 cars that dont require a cat, just checking with VOSA. Did you know they can do a roadside emission test and server a prohibition notice if you fail and if it fails badly they wont let you continue your journey.

Yup.

Guest chiefvinso

The visual tests are for cars registered before 1 aug 1975 if I read it correctly and after that its a probe jobby unless its a diesel

Here is the flowchart for which cat test is required for the MOT.

My car being an 94 NA (not in their book as ts an import with no UK equivalent) would need the non cat test.

At my last MOT my double decatted supe wuld have passed the cat test comfortably anyway!

mot.JPG

Need to refit cats on mine at MOT time as COs reading are just too high.

No problem though as Leon keeps a set for just this purpose!

My car being an 94 NA (not in their book as its an import with no UK equivalent) would need the non cat test.
:yeahthat: Think just about anything could pass on these levels!

Here we go.... from the MOT uk database.

http://www.motuk.co.uk/exhaust_emmissions.htm

This is the diagram garages should be using if they cant find a match for any import.

So looking at that mate a 93 would have a non cat test.

Print this out and take it with you on the day.

Was talking to a mate who is an MOT tester earlier this week and he agrees with the above link for imports but said that the CO limits for the basic non cat test are being lowered soon "to harmonise us with EU limits"

NICE!!!!!!!!!

Basically he reckons even old cars, that came as standard without a cat, will probably need one retrofitted come MOT time.