The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Get decent tyres, can’t emphasize enough!

Ambrose7

Hi ya,

I really cant emphasize the effect of good tyres, previously I was running Dunlop s9000s, these tyres were very good according to the guy in the tyre shop.

My MOT just came up and the garage kindly informed me my tyres were now illegal, so instead of going for the Dunlop’s again I decided to (based on the comments of this site) get some of the new spec Goodyear Eagle F1s.

The second I turned a wheel in anger with the new tyres I knew it was worth the price, the car feels so much better, it really does feel like a different car, previously I had thought the supra handled like a old boat. Now it’s a dream, mid corner its so much better, you can feel exactly what the cars doing and correct and mishaps before they happen.

Now I just need my fronts to wear out!

Perhaps the next open track session we should do a proper head to head session in the same car with various bits of rubber, see if as a club we can organize a deal from some suppliers....

And it does mean that members can make up their own mind regarding tyre performance....

Failing that I'll happily stick a set of kuhmo's on my car for a giggle....

Next time out, try out the Michelen Pilot Sports as well, in my experience they are better than the F1's....

Would be interesting seeing opinions on comparing the two...

Gav

will do.. next time i need tyres ill invest in the michelens, i think its a close call

Failing that I'll happily stick a set of kuhmo's on my car for a giggle....

I have just swopped the previos owners Kuhmo's for the Goodyear Eagle F1's, what a differnce, the Kuhmo's really are bad. :taped:

I like the Eagle F1, loads more grip. :nana:

Different tyres will probably work better on different cars. It's important to buy current tyres, not old ones that have been lying around in a warehouse for a year. I bought my Michelins when I was in France and they come with a "only pay for the wear" package if I have a puncture (anywhere in the EU). The come out and replace the tyre and I pay only for the tread I've worn and if they can't match the other (side) tyre model and compound they give me a matching tyre for the other one 24/7. Not bad!

I rate the tyres highly - we'll see what track performance is like at Japfest :eyebrows: