The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would this do anything?

tbourner

I have looked at these units in all seriousness...

The biggest problem I found with them was the amount of current they need,and since they are electric they put a load on the alternator... which then pulls power out of the engine... The other option would be to have a battery bank which you isolate from the engine, but then you are stuck with the weight of the battery pack...

The one option I considered using this for was to pre-spool a large turbo and then just put it in an offline state once the turbo was going.... could get away with a smaller battery pack and a little bit of electric gubbins...

I might still consider this option to remove the lag from my single configuration when it is up and running...

I know there are options which run on the new 48v system which has been proposed for cars, but then this would involve putting in a split voltage system into the car..

There are a few suppliers for these units... the one I've been speaking to is http://www.boosthead.com

Gav

As far as the eram units go... I wouldn't recommend them as they go inline with your air flow and as such would start giving you serious flow restrictions at boost....

Whereas the thomas knight units, you can simply put on a y piece on your boost hose.... not 100% sure how you would configure the engine management, but if you have gone single, you will already have a standalone ecu..... and hopefully you have got a line you can use to throw the isolater at low revs to the spare battery pack...

As you can tell I've spent WAY too much time putting my engineering head on looking at ways to use this technology...

Gav

Not on the supra obviously, but on a general car:

http://www.akamoto.co.uk/E-RAM-electric-supercharger.asp

Basically it's a hairdryer!!!

Yes, it would do something. Cost HP. Putting a restriction in the intake is never a good idea, performance wise ;)

Perhaps fitted witha "Fuel Catalyst" and a fuel line magnet you could achieve more BHP and more economy....

:p

Anyone who is interested in a serious product for electric supercharging should read this and this.

That white paper shows using an electric charger, to pre-spool a turbo. Wouldn't it be just as easy to use the electric motor to spin the turbine spindle? Rather than to spin a fan which produces air flow which spins the impeller?

An idea for single users? Electric motor to pre-spin the turbo spindle?

I know Ford has experimented with 'electrically assisted' turbochargers, they have special windings around the 'middle' of the turbo and help it spool faster under specific conditions.

The current consumption is very high obviously, but short-lived, so they get away with just an uprated alternator and battery.

That white paper shows using an electric charger, to pre-spool a turbo. Wouldn't it be just as easy to use the electric motor to spin the turbine spindle? Rather than to spin a fan which produces air flow which spins the impeller?

I think the VTES was concieved as a modular "bolt-on" system that could be used by OEMs for either NA or turbo engines. I think the engineering of integrating the electrics into a turbocharger package would make it (a) harder to retrofit onto an existing engine design and (b) harder to bypass. The VTES lives in the airbox and at part loads the airflow simply goes around it, hence no throttling issues.

What you have to bear in mind is that 99% of engineering R&D is going into making engines smaller and more economical, but with similar output to the larger engines they will replace. There is also a lot more research going into the low/medium speed / low/medium load area than WOT performance. That's what the VTES does. Using it to pre-spool a turbo was news to me but it seems logical. That little 12V motor must have a good bit of grunt behind it.

The problem with the more ricey equivalents is that they pretend to be flat out performance mods. Even if a tuner got hold of a pukka VTES type system, they wouldn't sell any by saying they helped you on part-throttle performance!

I've tried it & It doesn't work!!! I bought a fan like the one in the pic (used for model aircraft engines) for about £25 and fitted it to my mates mazda 3 :D Made no differance!

Now we know http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/Gifs/lol.gif