The mkiv Supra Owners Club

crap traction

JohnA

today it rained a bit, and I was out in the Supra, the TC light kept blinking, WTF, I wasn't even going fast.

Times like this I miss the calibra's 4x4, no comparison really, it wouldn't even hesitate on snow or ice (uphill as well!)

I wouldn't dare take the Soop out in snow or ice, hell even on light rain it gets twitchy.

Oh well, at least it will steer clear of salty roads ;)

Had the same thing yesterday, but i never leave the TC on!! It was stepping out on 1st turbo at anything from 40 to 70mph, and even had a slide at 100 on the 2nd turbo. The roads are very greasy at the moment so had to stick to 50% throttle while the roads are wet.

I think my allignment is fecked which is probably not helping matters, have you had yours checked yet?

BTW, although wet weather grip is poor now, it was much, much better when the car was stock!

today it rained a bit, and I was out in the Supra, the TC light kept blinking, WTF, I wasn't even going fast.

Times like this I miss the calibra's 4x4, no comparison really, it wouldn't even hesitate on snow or ice (uphill as well!)

I wouldn't dare take the Soop out in snow or ice, hell even on light rain it gets twitchy.

But at least the supe doesnt have a TRANSFER BOX that blows up on all Cally Tubbies which costs £1500 :tongue:

You know you need RLTC!

Gives you much more confidence especially in the wet.

Without it you can easily lose traction when you're not using full throttle in the dry which happened to me, definately gives you a fright!

The launch control on the RLTC is great fun. I had it set at about 3000rpm, press the throttle and it holds it at that - just let the clutch out and you absolutely rocket away. You can here the engine misfiring slightly to maintain traction which it does! :)

since fitting a set of toyo proxes to the rears i've never had the car sliding or even manage to get the TC light to come on - amazing stuff!!!

A lot of it comes down to the quality of tyre you have and how much tread is left. My previous tyres enabled me to get a full on drift on @ 30 mph!!!!!!

The launch control on the RLTC is great fun. I had it set at about 3000rpm, press the throttle and it holds it at that - just let the clutch out and you absolutely rocket away. You can here the engine misfiring slightly to maintain traction which it does! :)

At the risk of hijacking the thread and appearing a total dumbass, can that launch control thingummy be done with an auto?

ohhh the 4x4 turbs a good 'un...your right about the traction.

Great car ............. gotta change all 4 tyres or it fucks the transfer box !!!!!

Dude :complain:

hated that part of it and rotating tyres back to front etc every 1500 miles!! Some were saying if you had a puncture/blowout you had to change the whole set...luckily never had that problem, the grip was immense though, Cav turbos were gawjus!!

6-speed getrag box, 2.0l turbo....mmmm luurvely. Shame mine caught fire :violin:

Me too. :confused:

I don't see why it couldn't, there's just not much point really, plus by that point (3,000rpm) you'd be spinning the rears anyway!

so umm, yeah it would do what it's supposed to do, but that'd be pretty useless really unless you were to dump the car from Neutral into Drive.

But at least the supe doesnt have a TRANSFER BOX that blows up on all Cally Tubbies which costs £1500 :tongue:

It doesn't blow if you occassionally rotate the tyres and change the accumulator every five years. People are totally oblivious to this, so tx box recon companies get richer.

amazing how a car so 'flat' and 'underpowered' can spin the wheels so easy

well not really, wide tyres on the wet are not the best formula, are they? The TC light was playing breakdance even off-boost, during sharp turns of 20mph.

Don't know if alignment would have made a difference, mine is off at the time, I'll have it done after the wheels have been changed.

Great car ............. gotta change all 4 tyres or it fucks the transfer box !!!!!

In 5 years of ownership (and some really hard runs) I only went through 2 (TWO) sets of tyres, so it really isn't an issue - except if you get unlucky and get a puncture when they are half-worn.

I only had to 'rotate' the tyres 4-5 times in total, don't know where the 1500 miles thing came from. The harder you drive that car, the more uniform the tyre wear, so no need for rotating. You still need to check it though.

Even then, you could still run it with off-spec tyre threads, you just pulled the 4x4 fuse (300+ bhp FWD? lively....)

Moral of the story guys......save your money and dont go tear arsing along in the wet cos IMO your asking for trouble in any car however good the handelling is ;)

I dont think you need RLTC unless your running big power ie 500bhp+ purely to get the power down......every time you go out in the wet just be carefull.......I will confess now for the record, my car has stepped out on me a few times when I first had....but I will also admit that was my fault pushing it to hard in the wet........treat the beast with respect and it will look after you......take the piss and your asking for trouble

I also think that 'traction control' as a term is a bit optimistic for the soop's setup.

It's just an additional flap and operation of the brakes --- quite crude really...

it's like they tried to add as many intake restrictions as they could cram, Air Mass Meter, extra TC flap, who knows what else they've stuck in there, lol...

The stock TC is one of the worst TC systems ever. It's pretty universally lambasted for it's sloth-like reactions and it's then labour-government-style clobbering of all power and freedom ;)

I think it's all in the tyres surely - I've had outstanding grip from Pirelli P0's in wet and dry and I've not run any other tyre type I'm so happy with them. 235's @ 34psi front, 265's @ 28 psi rear. Not the widest most willy-wavingest tyres ever but hey, they work for me and can just about grip in 3rd gear in the dry :)

-Ian