The mkiv Supra Owners Club

This Blackjax gizmo

RedM

I've only just heard of Blackjax in the last few days and I must admit it seems like something everyone should have. I'll certainly be getting one when I get my Supra.

I'm a tad unsure about something though. It's an anti-carjacking measure but does it work when your car gets nicked but not in a car-jack? If, for example, someone breaks into the car, somehow gets it started and drives off with alarms blaring etc, does Blackjax still kick in?

The Clifford site doesn't make it clear.

On another note, I've been reading about Clifford systems being a bit sketchy. Are there any other Thatcham approved manufacturers that offer a Blackjax style device?

blackjax is not Thatcham approved, it comes on the thatcham approved alarms but if activated the thatcham is void. As I was not allowed this activated on mine due to this. I think clifford are the only company to produce such a product i.e blackjax

Well thats what my local alarms dealers have told me anyways.

The intellistart and a turbo timer will invalidate your insurance if discovered to of been used when a car is stolen, but I believe the Blackjax system is OK with insurance companies.

As for the earlier question as to will it work if the car is broken into not hijacked, then yes it will. When you get in the car to start it, you must enter the code, as the alram has seen the door as being opened. I suppose if the window is broken and then the little shite slid in through the broken window then it would not work, not sure if it works with the windows?

...It will work every time a door is opened and closed on the vehicle...a bit annoying if after a while that u gotta enter the code within 45 secs of getting into the car. I have a concept 600 and ive had it turned off...but after Matts horrible last couple of days im gonna start using it. Ideally it is to be used in hi-jack situations where if u are in the car and forced to get out...as the door is opened by you or the hijacker the timer starts, let the hijacker drive off with the car and unless he knows the 4 digit pin (impossible) the car will cut out with all bells a wailing few seconds later....

I believe its an excellent measure for thefts which commomly occur these days when the keys are stolen. In those circumstances the theif drives off not knowing the timer has already begun and 45 secs later..the car will cut out and he will make a run for it...

not a very good explanation but i hope that gives u some idea of how blackjax works!!

I dont no then. My alarm fitters which are normally very good with things. told me that they would not give me my thactham approved certificate if blackjax was enabled. oh well.

I got my 950 fitted about 3 weeks ago and i got my certificate, they don't activate blackjax unless you request it, it takes about 45 mins to activate, all done via a laptop.

As for choosing a 600 or 950, my local clifford dealer are doing a deal at the mo where they're throwing in the intellistart (worth £180) with the 950. I believe the 600 is approx £390 fitted and the 950 is £550.

The 600 has one option with it, i.e. dual zone proximity sensor (bleeps if someone noses in your car), whereas the 950 has: dual zone proximity sensor, tilt and motion sensor (protect it from someone jacking up ya car and nicking ya wheels/towing ya car away) and a glass tamper sensor (detects screwdrivers etc against the window) and as i said i got the remote start thrown in! i know which one i think is the better deal!!!!

Just rung up today to get my blackjax activated, it'll take 45 mins, it's a two digit code you have to type in.

If you forget, after driving for about 20 secs it'll give you a warning beep and the brake lights start flashing to warn cars behind the vehicle will be stopping, then after another 10 secs if the two digit code isn't typed in, all power to the vehicle is cut except for the alarm which is sirening and lights that will be flashing!!

Sorry this is a bit long winded but i hope it clarifies a few things! :woot:

Cat 1 is basically having an immobiliser (I said basically) and basic alarm. The blackjax should not invalidate the certification because it does not affect the basic operation of the immobiliser when the car has been parked up and locked. Cat 1 does not cover a car that has it's engine running. So blackjax should be ok but turbo timers are not.

The intellistart and a turbo timer will invalidate your insurance if discovered to of been used when a car is stolen, but I believe the Blackjax system is OK with insurance companies.

As for the earlier question as to will it work if the car is broken into not hijacked, then yes it will. When you get in the car to start it, you must enter the code, as the alram has seen the door as being opened. I suppose if the window is broken and then the little shite slid in through the broken window then it would not work, not sure if it works with the windows?

If your fitting a thatcham cat 1 alarm to get a discount on your insurance, please check that your company give a discount for such a thing, you'd be suprised how many companies do not!!!

The invalidation of Thatcham approval is a massive grey area. The scaremongering came about a few years ago when some young bod at the MIRRC bought a Clifford system with Intellistart. His boss alegedly jumped on the phone and complained that the system was now in breach of the original testing compliance.

Now, strictly speaking, ANY alterations you make to the system from the way it comes out of the box means you've invalidated the Thatcham compliance.

So, changing the arm/disarm chirps invalidates the approval as much as turning on Blackjax.

I've heard all the scare stories, but as yet, I've never, ever, heard of anyone, or any insurance company that has refused to pay out due to changing features on an alarm system.

As for not supplying a certificate.... What a load of jobsworth jerks. :innocent:

Blackjax takes about 2 minutes to activate, BTW ;)

IMHO, it's an excellent feature, but not for technophobes.

why not. To complicated to install?

and 2 minutes to activate :eek: that seems a very long time for every journey!

btw: do you sell them Matt?

Matt meant 2 minutes to SWITCH the feature on/off...not activate.

Takes about 10-15 seconds to de-arm depending on your pin number.

LOL, yes thanks kosmic :)

When I say not for technophobes, bear in mind that we have allsorts of customers and some just can't get to grips with entering the code.

The fact that it needs to be entered every time you drive the car or a door is opened whilst the engine is running. - And it really freaks some people out when it activates and they can no longer turn it off by remote control :innocent:

Got to say some of these alarm "features" are just INCREDIBLY annoying when I service a car with them on. I had one guy a bit ago with *THREE* separate alrms on his car. One of them had this damned Blackjack thing activated. Total PITA, what a palavar every time you want to start or move the thing. How the hell people put up with all that i don't know. First thing I do with my car is take the alarm out if it's got one, I just can't be doing with the hassle and often the unreliability of none factory systems. I rate car alarms as in the top 3 of my pet motoring hates :)

Got to say some of these alarm "features" are just INCREDIBLY annoying when I service a car with them on. I had one guy a bit ago with *THREE* separate alrms on his car. One of them had this damned Blackjack thing activated. Total PITA, what a palavar every time you want to start or move the thing. How the hell people put up with all that i don't know. First thing I do with my car is take the alarm out if it's got one, I just can't be doing with the hassle and often the unreliability of none factory systems. I rate car alarms as in the top 3 of my pet motoring hates :)

I somehow knew you wouldn't like these alarms Chris! ;) :innocent: