The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Quick Question

Stonkin

Hi People,

Does anyone have any info on the Tom's Engine Control System. (TECS)

A certain person will know why i'm asking, its purely cos i'm curious as to what it exactly does. Is it a good form of chip? Is it a chip that can be adjusted at stages if other mods are added to the car?

any info much apopreciated as i cant find anthing on the net.

Cheers

Christian

It's probably like the MINES ECU...remapped, more agressive but potentially mapped for fuel we don't have...might remove fuel cut, speed limit.

It probably won't be programmable, or supported in the UK.

If you want to remap your fuelling/timing I would go for a fuel computer like an eManage...

It's probably like the MINES ECU...remapped, more agressive but potentially mapped for fuel we don't have...might remove fuel cut, speed limit.

It probably won't be programmable, or supported in the UK.

If you want to remap your fuelling/timing I would go for a fuel computer like an eManage...

Alex is correct it is similar to the MINES ECU, ie. with more performance orientated mapping, it removes speed limit, raises fuel cut and I think (but may be wrong) also raises rev limiter slightly. It cannot be remapped by user.

I tested one in my car a few years ago see [thread=3381]THIS THREAD[/thread] for comments, BTW my car was pretty much stock at the time.

They are a complete replacement to the stock ECU and so are very expensive £1000.

So Nic,

Have you now got your abs working? I'm certain the car i'm getting has the abs working and it has this chip. One thing i thought of, if the chip raises boost to 1.1 - 1.2, then surely it would have made no difference if you turned your boost controller on and had it set to 1.1/1.2 or not? Or am i missing something? Most likely :-)

Cheers,

I didn't keep the ECU just fitted it and did a test drive with it one evening. It was so long ago I'd forgotten all about the ABS problem, not sure what caused this (could have just been a faulty connection) but as soon as I switched back to the stock ECU it was working again.

I'll have a read of what I wrote, this was around 4-5 years ago so didn't have huge experience with the Supra at the time so may have got some of the details wrong, if there is anything else I can remember after I've read my post I'll let you know.

So Nic,

Have you now got your abs working? I'm certain the car i'm getting has the abs working and it has this chip. One thing i thought of, if the chip raises boost to 1.1 - 1.2, then surely it would have made no difference if you turned your boost controller on and had it set to 1.1/1.2 or not? Or am i missing something? Most likely :-)

Cheers,

Right I see what you mean now about the boost question. My car was fairly stock at the time I tested the ECU, so peak boost was only 0.9-1bar with the boost controller turned off. Fitting the TOMS ECU only raises the fuel cut limit, it doesn't actually raise the boost. So with the TOMS ECU fitted and my boost controller turned off I was still only reaching max of 0.9-1bar, but the ECU mapping made the engine feel a bit more lively mid range.

With the boost controller on boost was raised to 1.1-1.2bar and the difference in performance was more noticable. As a rough estimate I guess it made say 10-15% increase in hp.

Nic, thanks for your time with this.

So the TOMS ecu doesnt raise boost at all, do any chips? I thought that would have been one of the main things it would have done.

No the boost is not controlled by the ECU, it is controlled mechanically by the turbo system. On imports the peak boost is also limited greatly by the catalytic converters and standard exhaust. Removing the cats and fitting an aftermarket exhaust will make the system much more freer flowing and will raise the peak boost. Often on imports it will result in the boost going to high, which is why people fit a restrictor ring to limit it to a safe level (1.1-1.2bar)

Doing all this absolutely transforms a stock Supra, the turbos will spool much faster and power is greatly increased. There are loads of posts explaining all this, do a search and read up. Any other questions just shout.

Thanks Nic, you've been a big help!

I've heard about these restrictor rings a few times and wondered what they were. Are they expensive / easy to fit? I'm sure this guys car i've bought doesnt have one.

Well i say bought, he might slightly disagree if he reads this :)

Thanks Nic, you've been a big help!

I've heard about these restrictor rings a few times and wondered what they were. Are they expensive / easy to fit? I'm sure this guys car i've bought doesnt have one.

Well i say bought, he might slightly disagree if he reads this :)

Do you have a list of modifications on the car you have 'bought' you can post? Whose car is it, does he have the mods listed on his forum vbgarage?

A ristrictor ring is just a piece of plate with a hole in it, it is bolted in between the sections of the exhaust. Basically the smaller diameter hole in teh plate restricts the flow of the exhaust and thus limits the peak boost. Cheap and easy to fit.

Just been reading Mawby's advert, looks like a very clean car that has some very good quality mods done to it, good power figures, spec and seems very good value for money.

I'm sure Mawby will be able to give you all info you need about the mods.

Nic,

Thanks for having a look, and cheers for dropping me in it about the tenner!! But of course i will. :)

I've looked at a lot of these cars, Mawby's was offering pretty much everything i was after. I've had a lot of chats with him about the mods, what i've discussed with you here was the only thing i was concerned about.

Unfortunately i need to sell my Scooby and quick, had a bit of interest but no actual viewers yet and its getting very frustrating cos i want to pick up this car!!!

There are a lot of shabby Supra out there up for sale, Mawby's car looks like a very nice example. The TRD ECU is a bonus that you don't find on many cars.

Nic,

Thanks for having a look, and cheers for dropping me in it about the tenner!! But of course i will. :)

I've looked at a lot of these cars, Mawby's was offering pretty much everything i was after. I've had a lot of chats with him about the mods, what i've discussed with you here was the only thing i was concerned about.

Unfortunately i need to sell my Scooby and quick, had a bit of interest but no actual viewers yet and its getting very frustrating cos i want to pick up this car!!!