The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Vortex Crate engines

Guest Terry S

Guest Terry S

Guys we are condsidering doing Vortex Crate engines, fully built, and assembled, optionally with one of our turbo kits, fuel rail, injectors etc. Obviously this is price dependant, but do you lot think they would sell?

I think they would - but really slowly. Loads on interest but not enough serious to make it worth your while...

What about trying to import say, Powerhouse, short/long block builds? Import a few at a time saving shipping?

It really depends on the investment you'll have to put in (Labour, core engine, parts, storage)

Guest Terry S

We can build the engines just as cheaply here, and that way have control over the quality. We can use either new or seasoned blocks. Alex, I do know what you mean, hence the question. Maybe we should build two spec short blocks and keep one of each, then they are ready for the customer if they have problems?

Oh we have a welder too :rolleyes:

Would/could you take into account the exchange value of the buyer's old engine. You may get more uptake if buyers know they have a way of getting rid of the old engine that reduces the overall cost.

Naturally it would need to be subject to inspection of the old engine, but just an idea.

Guest Terry S
Would/could you take into account the exchange value of the buyer's old engine. You may get more uptake if buyers know they have a way of getting rid of the old engine that reduces the overall cost.

Naturally it would need to be subject to inspection of the old engine, but just an idea.

Understand Keith but that really is a tricky one. The exchange engine could be little more than junk. You would never know untill it were pulled apart.

Understand Keith but that really is a tricky one. The exchange engine could be little more than junk. You would never know untill it were pulled apart.

You could do the short block/head on an exchange basis, the crank, rods and pistons may need junking, but you could refurbish/rebuild the head and block with new parts and then sell on. I think this is how Powerhouse do it as I remember.

I agree with Keith buying a tuned head/short block assembly would be more attractive to me (if I was in the market) if I could do it on an exchange basis at a slightly cheaper rate. Not sure how it would work financially.

Guest Terry S

trust me, you can junk a block and a crank easily too! We would need to work out something that was fair for everyone.

Intially we will offer built short blocks, and if there is a demand fully built long blocks.

trust me, you can junk a block and a crank easily too! We would need to work out something that was fair for everyone.

Intially we will offer built short blocks, and if there is a demand fully built long blocks.

You're probably right Terry, as a new short block from Toyota is relatively cheap to start with (think mine was around £1,300), so probably wouldn't make financial sense to take exchange on the block. Heads though are very expensive from Mr T as I recall.

Guest Terry S
You're probably right Terry, as a new short block from Toyota is relatively cheap to start with (think mine was around £1,300), so probably wouldn't make financial sense to take exchange on the block. Heads though are very expensive from Mr T as I recall.

we'll be buying them off you then ;)